Skip to main content

Ran across a few sauce recipes that you might like. The first is a mustard sauce similar to a SC sauce but thinner...

Back in the 1800s, Virginia barbecue cooks called this recipe "the seasoning." It was used as a baste for barbecue as it cooked and also served as a sauce by being poured over the barbecue before serving. Here is the recipe for Old Virginia Barbecue Seasoning. This is an authentic recipe that is at least 175 years old. The only change I made is the oil. Old timers would have used butter or lard. I think the salad oil option (which was used in the late 1800s) is a better choice nowadays because we don't usually heat our sauces before serving them.

Old Virginia Barbecue Seasoning

1 cup vinegar
½ cup prepared mustard
¼ cup water
3 TBS peanut oil or soybean oil
2 TBS currant jelly
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Pinch red pepper flakes

Bring all ingredients to a slow simmer, stir well, cool. Use as a basting sauce for barbecuing meats. Also use as a sauce by lightly drizzling it on barbecue before serving.

Another Virginia vinegar sauce...

Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away.

Shack Attack

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results.

You definitely want to let this sit for a while before serving to let the flavors meld. Not as spicy as you might think, but not sweet at all.

Another similar sauce called Tidewater Thin uses the same recipe as Shack Attack, but replaces the paprika with an equal amount of cayenne pepper. Haven't tried this version yet.

This one is a ketchup based sauce supposedly from the Shack BBQ in Little Rock. The original recipe makes about a gallon, but I cut it down to make about 16oz. I like this one quite a lot.The original recipe used Grapette soda instead of water. You might be able to find it at Wal-Mart, it's now marketed under the name Sam's Choice. Not available in my area.

Shack BBQ Sauce

Wet Stuff
3/4 cup ketchup
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar

Dry Stuff
1 1/2 TB black pepper
1 1/2 TB garlic salt
1 1/2 TB chili powder
1 1/2 TB sugar
1/2 to 2 tsp hot sauce
1 TB mustard

Dump the wet stuff into a pan and heat. Mix the dry stuff together, then add to the wet stuff, cook on low for about 20 minutes.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The first one is a mustard based sauce. Pretty similar to a SC sauce, but a lot thinner. I'm not too keen on mustard sauces, although I did try a South Georgia sauce earlier this year while I was down in the Columbus GA area. It's a ketchup/mustard combo that was pretty good.

The Shack Attack, I've made quite a few times. I like it, but I think this is one of those sauces that you either love, or you hate. There's nothing in between.

The AR Shack sauce is pretty good too. I've varied the amounts of pepper, sugar, hot sauce and vinegar in several different batches.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.