Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I really like making pastrami. I cheat and use commercial corned beef instead of curing my own, which makes the process very easy. You can search many recipes here. I use a coating of ground  mustard seed, black peppercorns, and coriander seed. Then I smoke at 225 to an IT of around 165. I use about 2 - 3 oz of wood (usually pecan) in my Amerique. After smoking, it's only smoked corned beef; you have to steam it to make it pastrami. The next day I steam it on a rack in a covered pot to an IT of 200 - 205, then slice and serve as hot pastrami, or cool for great sandwiches. Try it, you'll like it.

Cheese!  Although cheese smoking season will be coming to a close pretty soon for me since it is warming up.

+1 on the pastrami...  To make it easier, you can dry cure.  Still takes 5+ days, but don't have to worry about making brine and the briner bucket taking up an entire fridge.

bobmc posted:

I have been making a lot of beef ribs and pork ribs lately and I am looking for some new ideas.  I think I am going to try Mr. T's salmon recipe this weekend, but I am looking for some other new recipes to try.  What have you been cooking lately that you particularly like?

I caught part of Burgers Brews & 'Cue the other day and the guy went to a place serving smoked bologna.  I think I'm gonna have to give it a shot.  Anybody been there done that?

bobmc posted:

I have been making a lot of beef ribs and pork ribs lately and I am looking for some new ideas.  I think I am going to try Mr. T's salmon recipe this weekend, but I am looking for some other new recipes to try.  What have you been cooking lately that you particularly like?

Been experimenting with sous-vide and smoking after.  Does it counts? 
https://recipes.anovaculinary....e-and-smoked-chicken
Using Anova cooker, two separate EVERIE containers (for dark and white meat), Cookshack, time and patience. 
And some spices. 
It is my preferred way for chicken now, but white and dark work best at different temps so I have to cook them separate (breasts and legs, not whole unfortunately). 

upd: photo

Also smoked salt and peppers. But that's just basic. 

Last edited by jackalope

I tried a shrimp recipe yesterday based on @Janefly 's recommendation and it came out very good.  My daughter went crazy over them.  I found a marinade recipe online that I tweaked.  I had a pound of medium shelled shrimp in the freezer (41-60 count) and they were done somewhere between 20  - 25 minutes.  I cooked at 250 with half a chunk of apple.  I also stirred in a tablespoon of butter at serving.  Below is the marinade I used.  If I had a lemon on hand I would have put in some lemon zest too.

4 Tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp honey (you can certainly add more than this)
3/4 tsp granulated garlic (fresh garlic would be great too but I didn't have any)
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.