Skip to main content

I finally acquired a couple of racks of dino bones that I need to vacuume pack.

The issue is that I’m the only one in the family that will eat them.

So the question obviously is how many bones should I put in each package.

I’m thinking one bone per package might be best but I wonder if I left several together if they might cook better.  Then I could separate them and reheat at a later date.

What do you think?

Last edited by mountainman
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mountainman:  I do a lot of "plan ahead" cooking on the smoker.  When I find a deal on ribs, pork butt, brisket, etc.  I buy a pretty good bunch.  I will then smoke them all at 1 time.  Once they are done I break them down into smaller portions that fit a dinner or so for 2 people.  I vacuum pack these smaller portions and freeze them.  They reheat really well.   

@idahomike posted:

Mountainman:  I do a lot of "plan ahead" cooking on the smoker.  When I find a deal on ribs, pork butt, brisket, etc.  I buy a pretty good bunch.  I will then smoke them all at 1 time.  Once they are done I break them down into smaller portions that fit a dinner or so for 2 people.  I vacuum pack these smaller portions and freeze them.  They reheat really well.   

We are huge fans of cooking extra of many things and freezing for future meals. Most food stays really well kept and in some cases flavor is enhanced in my opinion. We do this for red beans and smoked sausage (New Orleans Style), Turkey Gumbo, Beef Stew, Most grilled or smoked meats, etc... Sometimes I'll re-warm in the toaster oven wrapped in aluminum foil or in the Microwave, or even stove top. I must say anything with mushrooms tends to get a bit soggy though. Nothing goes to waste!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.