Skip to main content

I recently smoked a prime rib roast to 145 degrees and it was great. The next day I placed the left overs, foil wrapped in the oven and set the temperature probe to 140 degrees. When I took the meat out it was no longer pink and the texture was more chewy.

How can I reheat steaks and other meat for that matter without over cooking it.

Thanks in Advance,
Dan Ayo
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For me, to reheat right it a significant challenge for cooks.

If you cook a PR to 145, it was already well done. When I cook a PR to 145, there won't be any pink at all.

Couple of options.

1. Remember that the reheat temp matters. If you reheat at 200, it will cook whatever you put in to the temp if you leave it long enough. And how you wrap it, how long you warm it will affect the final product.

2. Reheat at a lower temp.

3. If you KNOW you'll be reheating, keep the first temp that you cooked at lower. That way, when you reheat, you can heat it up how you want it with less fear of overcooking.

Ever reheat something in a microwave? Try using the power setting and instead of reheating on high, reheat on 30% or so. The lower power won't cook the meat, just rewarm it.
Smokin'
I thought for beef that 140 was rare and 145 medium rare. I cooked the rib roast to 145 and the inside was a gougeous pink. What is the recommended temps for a prime rib roast?

Over cooked question---
Intial cook was 145. Reheat in foil inside oven to 140. Originally cooked meat was light pink but reheated meat was medium or maybe a little more cooked.

So I'm wondering --- If meat is originally cooked to 145 and then reheated in oven temp set to say 150 and pulled at 140. Will the meat continue to cook even though the temperature of the meat never exceeded 145.

I think I'll experiment more with the microwave with the power set down...
As a general rule, I try to preheat cooked meats at the same temperature I cooked to.
Room temp. first, then start the heating, takes longer, but quality is maintained,IMHO. Higer temp. re-heats require monitoring, not to go past desired temp. An example would be chicken with bone in, let the bone steam and the flavor will change. Smokin' is right on the microwave, keep it on low power, works if you are in a hurry.
Rob
My experience with taking rib roasts to 140-145 (which is the temp I've taken all of them to) is I get medium rare closer to rare than medium.

I have held them at that temp for 2 hours on upto 4 hours before pulling from the smokette.

As a matter of fact, the next time i do one for a family get together I'm gonna have to do 2 because 140-145 is too red for several folks in the family.

I wonder what the difference is. Is it in seering? Is it the difference between fresh and frozen then thawed? Aging?
Here's how my husband's cousin Mike, a former chef, does it:

Place a few tablespoons of water in a large skillet. Cover the bottom with lettuce leaves. Finally, a use for iceberg lettuce that doesn't involve having to eat it!

Place the prime rib slices on lettuce and heat through. If you get the technique right, you can heat it gently enough that you don't also cause it to cook further.

Mike saved our necks at a big party a few years ago when we had cold prime rib and some hungry latecomers.
125 is rare
130 or so is Med Rare
140 to me is well done.

I've seen just about every varation of what each of those is and no two match.

Those are my temps to get what I want.

By the way, I never cook it above 130.

Also it will rise 5 or more degrees after cooking as it rests.

If I know I'm not going to eat it all, I undercook it to no more than 120 or so and chill fast.

Besides, after you slice it, not how it continues to change color fast.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.