Skip to main content

Just before our first hard freeze in Oklahoma, I picked about a bushel of sweet and hot peppers, and green tomatoes from my garden. I smoked and canned the veggies, and the results are great! Here's what I did:

Wash and dry veggies. Cut in half and place on Seafood Grill. Smoke-cook over 2 oz. hickory wood at 200 degrees for 45 minutes in Cookshack Smokette.

Set up for canning in hot water or pressure cooker. Heat white vinegar and sugar 10:1 allowing 3/4 c. for each pint to be canned.

Pack smoked peppers and tomatoes in hot, sterilized canning jars according to canning equipment mfg. instructions. Pour hot vinegar/sugar mixture over veggies, leaving 1/2" air space at the top of the jar. Place lids and rings on jars and complete the canning process according to the canning equipment mfg. instructions.

Allow to stand overnight before opening.

The heat in these will vary according to the kind, quantities, and combinations of peppers you use. I had habaneros, several kinds of jalapenos, and some different kinds of long red peppers whose names I don't know, as well as some Thai peppers. I used these with green and yellow sweet peppers and green tomatoes. They taste fabulous and the heat varies from jar to jar.

I canned both smoked and not-smoked versions, and there is no comparison. The not-smoked ones are good but the smoked ones are great!

Donna
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

How many pickled peppers could Donna pick if she pick a peck of pickled peppers?

Donna, little suggestion. Save your photo to a size, about 300 x 300 and it will be larger to SHOW off your Peppers. Or send me the photo and I'll edit for you.

That's what us moderators are here to do...help.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.