Skip to main content

I have read a thread on this, but for the most part are you using the drip pans that come with the cookshack, or disposable pan so you don't have to clean it.

Also, can this grease do down the kitchen drain without causing problems ? If not, how are you disposing with something bad happening in the trash ?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Some smokers come with a drippan, some don't. The disposable pans will get holes in them after about the 2nd or 3rd cook. I use the broiler pan from the kitchen range, works great.

If you are on a municipal sewer system, just get your hot water running and pour the drippings down with your disposal running. If you are on a septic system, maybe you can collect it in a large bucket with a lid and take it to a collection center if you have one in your area. Biodiesel companies are collecting all kinds of grease and oil nowadays. More power to them.

Cool
My Wife use to run the hot water and pour the grease down the kitchen drain. One night I got up to find water allover the kitchen floor. My plumber told us that the grease had partially plugged the drain running from the kitchen all the way under the house to the city sewer line. Several hours & $$$ later with a power Roto-Rooter he had the drain clear. He said not to run anymore grease down the drain ever since we have put it in a container with the trash.
I have an Amerique with a stainless steel drip pan.What I do is place a disposable aluminum 1/2 size chaffer pan inside it to catch the grease.It's a tight fit and actually keeps the pan from sliding out when I move the smoker around. If I get a little grease, I soak it up with a paper tower and reuse the pan again. If I get alot of grease, then I throw it in the trash when it cools.I buy them in packs of 30 at Costco, so the cost is reasonable.
quote:
Originally posted by Swede44mag:
My Wife use to run the hot water and pour the grease down the kitchen drain. One night I got up to find water allover the kitchen floor. My plumber told us that the grease had partially plugged the drain running from the kitchen all the way under the house to the city sewer line. Several hours & $$$ later with a power Roto-Rooter he had the drain clear. He said not to run anymore grease down the drain ever since we have put it in a container with the trash.

Your water ain't hot enough and she didn't let it run soon enough or long enough!

You took it out of her allowance, right?

Cool
GLH, I'd suggest that Swede has it right and that water temp doesn't mean much.. yes, it will put the grease in a liquid form at the sink.. but as soon as it touches the pipes downhill, the grease will "plate out" on the pipes, at some point before it reaches the city sewer system.. It will build up,little by little until things are blocked as he mentioned, causing a Rooter Rooter guy to get richer. Been there, done that when I was involved in building maintenance. It is far safer to scrape it off and put it in the trash.. but, that's only my suggestion.
Here's something my mother taught me when I was a teenager and trying to fry the family up some chicken. Well the chicken came out just fine. Now it's time for cleanup. She saw me about to drain the cooled grease from the chicken fry down the drain and stopped me immediately.
So here is what she taught me to do. To combat the possible clogged drain due to grease buildup, put some dish washing liquid in the pot or pan or whatever the grease is in, ensure the sink's hot water faucet is up to temp, and then douse the pan with the hot water in order to break up the grease. I swish the water around a few times or I use the kitchen sprayer thingy which works best in ensuring the dish liquid is well dispersed into the grease. Then I turn on the garbage disposal with the hot water still running and slowly pour the water/soap/grease mixture down the drain. I keep the hot water running for about 30 seconds. I usually do it in two steps, since some grease is still in the pan that hasn't been broke down by the dish liquid. Works for me and no clogged drains have occurred.
All those fixes for grease down the drain sound logical, but I've been told exactly the opposite. IF one is going to put grease down the drain it has to be very cold so as to NOT be melted and then solidify. "Frozen" or in solid form, and cold water to flush will keep it moving down into the main in the street and not 'plate out.' Interesting, huh? Mine goes into the trash, in one manner of the other. I don't like the Roto-Rooter guys so much!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.