Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Chef-Boy-Arnie:
I haven't used the drippens from the drip pan, but I have put a pan inside the smoker or smoked with the meat in a pan.
The pan outside the smoker may have cooled enough during the smoke to not be safe to use.

Everything cools does it not, I mean when food is on the table it cools, I would have to believe it's been over 140 degrees just to render off. Seems like it would be OK, especially if you reheat on the stove to use.
?????
Last edited by bubbasz1
I would be concerned with salmonella in a drip pan outside the smoker, the longer the smoke the greater the risk.
I would much rather smoke with a catch pan inside the smoker or with the meat in a pan to contain the juices. It also makes clean up easier.

Putting the catch pan in the freezer or refrigerator helps with skimming the fat off, then I boil the juice a couple of minutes. It can then be used as is and/or used to make gravy.
quote:
Originally posted by uncsmoker:
Would like to try this. When do you put the pan in the smoker? What do you do with the drippings? Skim the fat and add to the meat after cutting? Add it to your sauce? Make a sauce from it? Thanks

I put the pan in when I start the smoke.This also helps to cook the juice down a bit. The drippings can be added back as the meat rests, after it is pulled, when it’s served, a little in the baked beans, etc. I have been told some people freeze leftover drippings in ice cube trays to save for flavoring other dishes. I’d try that, but I never seem to have enough leftover.
Just a rookie - but I've already been thinking about saving drippings too. When I do decide to give it a whirl I'll catch the drippings inside the smoker for the health reasons mentioned. Chalk it up to better safe than sorry.

Speaking of drip pans since I haven't got my BBQ heaven built in the patio out back I've been smoking on the front drive. On 3 occasions I've pulled into the drive to see the drip pan pulled out and grease running down the drive. My gut is telling me I've got a neighborhood dog that couldn't resist the smell and pulled the pan out...but it does seam to move easily is it possible I've got wind issues and a backdraft is enough to work it out from under? I don't mean to thread jack it just got me thinking and it's a question I meant to ask...but does bring up another reason to catch the drippings inside the box...If your counting on keeping them you might face some unforeseen competition!

My fix was a 4x4 block placed in front of the pan. Wind or Dog or another hijacking critter that problem has been solved.
The problems with drippings in the smoker it's different than an oven.

You can get a LOT of smoke in those drippings, so just think about that when you use them.

Also, keep an eye on whatever pan you use, it will become covered in smoke and also, because the pan is closer to the heat, it can cook out a lot of liquid.

I say if it's something you want to try, try it. Let us know what you think.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
The problems with drippings in the smoker it's different than an oven.

You can get a LOT of smoke in those drippings, so just think about that when you use them.

Also, keep an eye on whatever pan you use, it will become covered in smoke and also, because the pan is closer to the heat, it can cook out a lot of liquid.

I say if it's something you want to try, try it. Let us know what you think.

This is quite true. At the beginning of the smoke the pan will catch mostly rendered fat and acidic smoke.

On long smokes I sometimes wait an hour before I put my drip pan in the smoker. On shorter smokes it goes in right away, sometimes with the meat in the pan. If I use more than 4 ounces of wood at the start of the smoke I use the drippings sparingly in gravy. The au jus, which will be somewhat cooked down, may be cut with water if needed. If the smoke isn’t heavy I de-fat it, boil it and use as is. I have also ladled the de-fated and boiled drippings over the meat as it rests. I also like to freeze leftovers in ice cube trays and use it in beans.

As to the pan I use disposable pans when I can. If I use a “good” pan I will spray it with cooking oil and/or cover the bottom and sides with foil. I will sometimes put some AJ or water in the pan if I think I have it a little close to the heat.
I use the dripping from the pork butts, I boil mine for a few minutes to be safe, I add some of it back into the meat for moisture, I will keep some to add later as mine will get put in the roaster oven to serve from and it will dry out some.

If you decide to boil, use a high stock pot and don't turn your back on it, because when it boils it expands and will boil over very quickly and make a mess, I won't tell you how I know this.
Tried this before. The way I would describe it is to take some beautiful meat juices from an oven roast and dump a bottle of liquid smoke in it. Yum. Not! It really picks up a lot of smoke and not in a good way. That is my one time experience. Maybe someone will put foil over the drip pan with one hole in it, to keep out most of the extra smoke. Just an idea.
Last edited by crazysmokinlarry

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.