Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ambient??? Crazy, you are killing me. I had to get the webster out for that word. As we all know these smokers are 850* insulated so that should help on ambient air temp.

I'm hoping that if I tell the wife that a gentleman called Crazy Smokin Larry assured me that it would be cheaper to run a FEC than my CS020. She will let me trade-in.

Pags, you sure that cs150 has a 750 watt element?

slk, Is there a reason that you are concerned about the cost or just curious?????
Here's a test I ran using a Kill-a-Watt. I have an 055 which has (I think) the largest element of the residential models at 1200 watts.

Today I did some jerky using the GLH method (where the heck did he go?) and the stats are as follows:

Temp: 180
Time: 3 hrs
Pre-heat: No
Max watts: 1,236
Watts used: 966
# of door openings: 0
Cost: 9.4 cents

It used just less than a kilowatt and in my neighborhood, watts are going for .097/kwh so it works out. It amazed me.

Actual thread is here.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Ambient??? Crazy, you are killing me. I had to get the webster out for that word. As we all know these smokers are 850* insulated so that should help on ambient air temp.

I'm hoping that if I tell the wife that a gentleman called Crazy Smokin Larry assured me that it would be cheaper to run a FEC than my CS020. She will let me trade-in.

Pags, you sure that cs150 has a 750 watt element?

slk, Is there a reason that you are concerned about the cost or just curious?????

Hey cal, actually the FEC Pulls 5 amps at 120v= 600watts and the CS020/025 is 120v at 7 amps= 840 watts. Actually voltage will vary as well as the time the element is on. The FEC may be better insulated and seal tighter. So yes, it really might be cheaper to run. So when that day comes you can say "Come on honey, Crazy Smokin Larry said its cheaper to run than our old one." lol, If I was you I would leave my name out of it. It will hold water better. Smiler Okay, everybody back to your smokers!
I was just currious as our electric bill has gone sky-high last month and I was smoking 3 of those weekends. About 12-14 hrs per smoke. It won't stop me from smoking, but I may load it up to be more efficient.

We pay 10.3 cents pre kilowat hour based on 1000 killowats. If I am running 1500 wats the rate goes up to 15 cents.

More just on the curious side

Thanks guys
Steve
Last edited by slk
quote:
Originally posted by slk:
...If I am running 1500 wats the rate goes up to 15 cents.
Steve

The 150 has two heating elements, and it's listed at 1500 watts, sounds like you hit the higher rate.

But buy the meter so you can see actuals.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.