Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First- you can't taste smoke ring, so most people ignore that it is there.  In competitions, it isn't part of the judging criteria.  You can put a piece of charcoal or use Cure #1 to get a smoke ring, do a search for smoke ring and you should get a lot of results.

I empty the left over charcoal and ash after every smoke from the wood box.  Even  though stainless steel is resistant to rust and corrosion, it isn't totally impervious.  Ashes can be caustic so I remove them.

Thanks for the response.

The smoke rings is for guests : )

I find that people who aren't familiar with the intricacies of smoking (99.9% of my guests) associate smoke ring with quality bbq. It's something they don't get in their home cooked meals and they see it whenever they go to an awesome bbq joint. We know that it has no impact on flavor, but they don't. Their visual perception of it literally changes the way they perceive its quality. So one could argue that indirectly it does impact flavor (triggered through physiological reasons, not literal changes to the meat).

Does anyone know if leaving too many ashes in the box eventually would negatively impact flavor?

People keep pointing out that smoke ring doesn't impact flavor at all, which is technically true and I agree with. There's more to it though... in case people missed my post above to address this...

I find that people who aren't familiar with the intricacies of smoking (99.9% of my guests) associate smoke ring with quality bbq. It's something they don't get in their home cooked meals and they see it whenever they go to an awesome bbq joint. We know that it has no impact on flavor, but they don't. Their visual perception of it literally changes the way they perceive its quality. So one could argue that indirectly it does impact flavor (triggered through physiological reasons, not literal changes to the meat).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.