Skip to main content

I just ordered the new Smokette Essential. (750Watt,7 Amp,120Volt single phase)
My problem is I need an extension cord 40 feet long.(Only have one outside outlet and want to put my smoker in a spot where it will be covered-under my stairwell-very rainy here!)
After reading many post regarding extension cords I went out to an electrical supplier and purchased 40 feet of commercial grade cord. It is a 12 gauge thick black neoprene covered cord. It reads on the side " 3/C 12 AWG (3.31 squared) Type SJ 60dgree C. 300Volt RoHS"

Two things: Will this cord safely power my Smokette? and Is this cord Ok to run at 40 feet long? I haven't seen any definitive answers as far as maximum length of 12 gauge cord for Smokettes are.

Any knowledgeable feedback and advice is welcome.Can't wait to start smoking-safely!!!
billybrisket
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

thanks for your feedback.looks like this cord should do the trick.this forum is great-i've learned a ton and my smoker hasn't even arrived yet.
i went and had lunch today at a great local smokehouse restaurant. i spoke to the owner and asked if i could see his smoker. he brought me to the back and there it was- a sweet commercial sized cookshack smoker.he told me he bought it a year ago when he opened up his restaurant. he couldn't say enough good things about the brand. it made me feel confident in my smokette purchase.he even gave me some of his smoking wood to start me off.can't wait to fire it up.

billybrisket
I would worry more about your outlet. I would get a twist lock plug for your cord and a matching outlet to prevent the weight of the cord from pulling/twisting the plug in the outlet, and to prevent someone from accidentally unplugging the cord. A lot of things can happen in 40 feet.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.