Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Cabbage Patch Kids:
Here's what we use. It's from Joy of Cooking, 1976 edition. My wife tweaks it with some lemon juice.

Coleslaw for Barbeque

Combine 1 cup mayo
4 chopped scallions
2 teaspoons vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon sugar
optional, add fresh or dried dill

add this mixture to
3 cups shredded cabbage
3 cups greens---or just more cabbage
1 thinly sliced carrot
1/2 green pepper, cut into thin strips

In my humble opinion this is your basic KISS formula. (Know what KISS is?)
There's a tiny bit of sugar in there after all.
Strange how habits get you. My mother used this recipe. I grew up on it. My wife makes it. So, I like it. To the VIRTUAL EXCLUSION OF ALL OTHERS! Mad (Whew. BBQ prejudice. Need therapy here.)
Sorry Andi. Ignore this cole slaw chauvinist. Please post your version.
(And where'd you get oysters this time of year, anyhow?)
Wink Acarriii
Here's mine!!

Though I am a firm believer in Marzetti, sometimes I have cabbage and no Marzetti.

Creamy Coleslaw

3 cup(s) Cabbage
1 small Carrot(s)
1/3 cup Mayonnaise
4 teaspoon(s) Vinegar
2 teaspoon(s) Sugar
1 teaspoon Milk
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Yellow mustard
1/8 teaspoon Pepper
1/8 teaspoon Celery seed

PREPARATION:
Coarsely chop carrots and place in chopper.

Chop until slightly larger than desired size.

Add all other ingredients and chop.

I've been making it for so long, Acariii, that I don't measure. But its medium shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, and a little GRATED onion. The sauce is equal parts vinegar and sugar stirred to dissolve. Then lotza Best Foods mayo, celery seed, one clove minced garlic, S&P. I love cole slaw best as a sandwich topper, especially BBQ pork. Really good on Blue Cheese Stuffed Mooseburgers... Wink
OH! Sorry, Chuck...didn't finish answering you. These are wonderful (The Best) Prince William Sound oysters. A guy comes to town selling them once awhile and stops by my house on the way in. They have large shells, small bodies, and lotza juice. Very sweet. Oysters won't breed up here, so spat is imported from Japan and plantings alternated to have a constant supply. Lucky me! Smiler
quote:
. Oysters won't breed up here,

Well, Darlin, our oysters breeeeeeeeeed. Yes'am. But, they are done breeding. So we await the fall season (months with the letter R) when they are fat, and their gonads are depleted. More oyster; less gonads. (hate the summer oysters...such big.....gonads. [dont start])
Now, you can ask brother Tom, but I say Cedar Key oysters are only rivaled by Appalachicola Bay oysters in ALL OF THE USA!!!.(Sea-run, of course.)
I can't wait.
But, you got some moose, I'll get some oysters...............
Yours truly, Acarriii
Smokerino, you want on-topic? Good idea. So, howsabouta jabber topic, so to speak?

If you do that, I'll promise you two things:

First, I won't ever discuss oysters again.

Second, Most other crustacaens will be off limits, too. (But, not abalone).

Double Lazy - for the good of our forum, apple pie and mom
I never want to impede the right of freeze speech...Fought for 20 years to protect that right.

I just want to put it where it belongs Smiler (cause later I have to archive the stuff and how do you archive a post about butts/briskets/poultry/shoes/margaritas/and more) LOL

Hey that's what the "Open" forum is for...it's just that sometimes the side discussions go really strange directions and I can't even follow the topics anymore.

Just the Administrator in me, thanks for the support!

If'n I'm a bein' too bossy, we'll shucks, just tryin' to a do my job.
You never know! Was thinking that smoked baby oysters might be great in cole slaw! Sounds pretty good, actually...

I WISH I could be in Houston! Unfortunately that's about a 2000 dollar bill for me. And if I brought my CS? 3000! Boy, that would be fun though, except the heat would probably kill me...or the funny hats, boots, and drawls! LOL! Wink
Ok, you've been waiting with baited breath, so here it tiz:

Jan's 2nd Best Cole Slaw

start with a pound of very finely shredded cabbage (angel hair).

add:

1/2 cup Hellman's Real Mayo (Best Brands on the Left coast.)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar (ok to sub cider vinegar, but pretty common that way)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp celery seeds
add scallions to taste

Mix. Cool. Eat.

Most slaw recipes are similar. This one is no exception, yet it's been handed down in our family all the way back to Kunta Rochman.

Why is it called 2nd best? Simply because everyone else here makes the best. Thus, it can't be the best. Roll Eyes

Double Lazy
Ok guys here is the one I like. I have been waiting for someone to post one like this but everyone seems to love mayo. This on your pulled pork sandwich is delicious.

I use all dried spices for this.

1 ts chives
1 ts black pepper or pepercorns
1 ts basil
1 bay leaf
2 ts salt
1 ts dill
1 ts italian seasoning
1 ts cellery seed
1 ts thyme
1 ts onion flakes or powder
1/4-1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
red pepper flakes to taste (optional)

Put into a covered pot and boil for 3 min. Then let steep for another 15 min. Then strain out the spices.

Pour over 2 cups cabbage, one medium carrot and half of a red bell pepper. I run these through a food chopper to get a small size that will soak up the flavor.

Refridgerate overnight and stir twice a day. This will actually be better on the third day.

Charlie
This is a fairly standard creamy coleslaw recipe. If you want a "Corky's" version, substitute cider vinegar for the white, add some celery seed and a teaspoon of dijon mustard.

Overnight refrigeration significantly improves the flavor.

1 medium head cabbage, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, grated
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup whole milk or half and half
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
OK - Here's my version. Serve it on pulled pork sandwiches or as a side dish.

BBQ COLE SLAW

3 cups chopped red cabbage
3 tbs minced white onion (can substitute scallions)
1 small carrot - grated or thinly sliced
3 tbs cider vinegar
3 tbs mayonnaise
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 tsp worchestershire
1/2 tsp sugar (adjust to taste)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp celery seed - lightly crushed
Ground black pepper to taste
Dash or 2 of hot sauce (adjust to taste)

Mix everything together in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serves 4 as a side.
I just Googled "Primanti" and it turned up quite a few sites for the cole slaw recipe. I like how when you start typing something in Google, it starts making a list of topics you can click on. And when I typed in the word "Primanti", one of the topics was "Primanti Brothers Cole Slaw Recipe". I clicked on that to come up with all the sites. The first and second site listed look like the best bets.
Thanks for your help. I don't know why I didn't think of doing a Google search. I must not be awake yet. I checked out the recipe and there is no horseradish in their recipe. I could have sworn that I tasted it. There was a site on the Washington Post that claimed to have the authentic recipe and the method was a little different. That may account for the little bite in the taste. Anyway, thanks for all of your help. You might want to try this slaw. It is pretty tasty.
For the past few years I've been making cole slaw with wasabi, the green Japanese horseradish paste that comes in a tube. Here are the ingredients:

1 bag angel hair shredded cabbage
Mayonnaise
White wine vinegar
Celery seed (about 1 teaspoon)
Wasabi paste
Sugar (about 1 teaspoon)

You can get bags of angel hair shredded cabbage in the produce section where they have the bags of lettuce. Dump the shredded cabbage in a bowl. Add the mayo a spoon at a time and mix until the cabbage starts glomming together, then cut it with the white vinegar, a little at a time, until you get the smooth creamy consistency you like without it being runny. You might need to add a little more mayo and/or a little more vinegar and play with it until you get what you want. Add a teaspoon of celery seed, a teaspoon or so of sugar, then squeeze in a couple of inches worth of the wasabi paste. Mix everything well, and taste. Adjust the celery seed, sugar, and wasabi as suits your taste. I like it hot, so I always add more wasabi.

This goes great on a pulled pork sandwich. Heck, it goes great on just about any BBQ sandwich. It goes great with sushi and sashimi, and all by itself, too. I like it when the spice of the wasabi clears out my sinuses. Eeker Big Grin
Mexican cole slaw (From an El Paso, Texas Resturant. I believe closed and out of business now)

1 head of green cabbage very very thinly sliced (not diced, I'll bet they used to use a meat cutter or some kind of processor).
1-2 green bell peppers (depending on taste) also very thinly sliced into 1-2 inch slivers
1-2 bunches of green onions including most of the greens also very thinly sliced as above
1 TB salt (or less depending on your blood pressure)
1 TB pepper (I put more, but some may like less)
2 TB dill (I never have used fresh dill, but it would probably be great)
Oil and vinegar dressing to taste ( I usually use olive oil or vegetable oil and red wine vinegar)
Mix thoroughly and let refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for several hours if possible, but not critical. I keeps well in the fridge for a day or two if you are light on the vinegar and oil.
quote:
Originally posted by RangerDF:
Oil and vinegar dressing to taste ( I usually use olive oil or vegetable oil and red wine vinegar).
Do you use any sugar at all in dressing? Also did you reverse engineer this recipe or did the restaraunt give it out - just curious. Sounds simple - I do like simple. Might have to cut in half and give a try.
Mexican cole slaw

I tried the Mexican Cole Slaw yesterday. Nice dinner for 6 of us with pulled pork sandwiches, grilled Mexican Street corn, Baked beans, the Slaw, and homemade White Chocolate Ice Cream. I even made my own Barbecue sauce for the first time. All was great and company loved it. Now back to the slaw. I cut the recipe in half.

I followed the recipe pretty closely at first. I used Kosher salt instead of regular salt and I used less than the ½ TBS called for and I still thought it was too salty, so I went back and added more cabbage and more green pepper. I liked a little more black pepper. I didn’t measure it but put several good cranks on the pepper mill until I liked it. I did use fresh Dill. I decided it needed a little more kick to it so I seeded and deveined 2 Jalapeños and fine julienne them into the salad. This is a vinegary cole slaw. If you are looking for sugar and/or mayonnaise, this is not for you. I also don’t think this would be the best choice for a barbecue sandwich topping. But for a nice change and side dish, this is a great recipe. Try it and see.

(New revised) Mexican Cole Slaw recipe

1/2 head of green cabbage very very thinly sliced (I used my mandolin but a good chef’s knife is best).
1 green bell pepper also very thin julienned into 1-2 inch slivers
1 bunch of green onions including all the green and white also very thinly sliced as above about 1-2 inched long.
1 tsp Kosher salt (be careful here you can always add more)
1-2 tsps black pepper
2 TB fresh dill
2 Jalapenos seeded and deveined very thin julienned
Red wine vinegar and extra Virgin Olive oil vingarette to taste. (I think I used about 5 TBS of oil to 2-3 TBS of vinegar).

Mix thoroughly and let refrigeratefor several hours, stirring occasionally.

Hope you like it
no problem..White chocolate Ice Cream

4 oz white chocolate chopped
¼ cup sweetended condensed milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract plus one vanilla bean scraped
Pinch salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
½ cup milk

Melt chocolate and condensed milk in the microwave
Stir every 10-15 seconds until chocolate is melted about a minute or two.
Add Vanilla, vanilla bean scraping and salt and milk
In a mixer whip heavy cream to soft peaks about 2 minutes on medium high.
Whisk 1/3 of the whipped cream into the chocolate. Then just fold the remaining cream into the chocolate.
Freeze about 20-30 minutes then freeze for as long as you can. Several hour at least. Top with fresh mint and peach jam.

I have a simular recipe for regular Chocolate Ice cream if you want it.
Last edited by rangerdf
Here's a recipe for carrot slaw that goes great on spicy lamb sausage sandwiches. I got the sausage at The Fatted Calf in Napa, CA.

1 bag shredded carrots
1 tablespoon fennel seed, ground up
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

I buy the bag of shredded carrots in the produce section at the supermarket where they have the bags of lettuce. I grind the fennel seed in a mortar and pestle, but you could use an electric spice grinder, too.

Mix everything together except for the olive oil, then drizzle that in until you get a consistency you like. You might not like the whole 1/2 cup, but you do need enough to make the slaw stick together so it doesn't fall out all over the place when you go to eat your sandwich. Add salt and pepper and mix, tasting until you get the flavor you want. Pile on top of your sausage sandwich and wash down with a bunch of beer Big Grin Razzer
Sounds like another sausage supplier I've got to try Bodidio. My buddies and I already go to Lockford Meat Co. (great sausages) once a month tied with a lunch swing down to the Delta at Whimpy's, Giusty's or Tower Park. Love eating on the water.

I'll be in Napa/Sonoma within 2 weeks with my next wave of Chicago company. Hitting the Shellville Grill (as seen on Diners, Dives, and Drive-ins. Noted for their open pit slow cooked, smoked Tri Tip) and a little site seeing. I'll hit The Fatted Calf then. Smoked, spicy lamb sausage sounds like it'll be on a near future menu. My brother in law is already looking forward to pulled pork, brisket, Santa Maria tri tip, and salmon. He loves lamb. Thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.