Replies sorted oldest to newest

A VERY easy and delicious one for pork of all kinds is Southern Succor Rub:

1/2 C ground black pepper
1/2 C Paprika
1/2 C Turbinado Sugar
1/4 C Salt
4 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp cayenne

I also like Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub on danged near anything (ribs, butt, chicken so far):

3/4 C Paprika
14 C black pepper
1/4 C salt
1/4 C Sugar
2 T chili powder
2 T garlic powder
2 T onion powder
2 tsp cayenne

Both are from "Smoke and Spice" by Cheryl & Bill Jamison.
Well, I'll look up my rubs for butts, but here's some more suggestions from Pork Butt 101 (which you get to from the guide page at the top of the page).

There are three parts. You're new to the forum, but these get rave reviews from those who've tried it.

This is a GREAT basic mop for pork.

Feel free to doctor it up, but you have to post your recipe here I have no idea where this originated, I got it and modified it after someone else modified it... so here it is to enjoy for all.

I use this on pulled pork starting about 1/2 way through cooking (after the smoke stops).

Mop this on the pork warm. I've also used this on the meat when it's done -- I just spoon some sauce over pulled pork right on the bun.

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce

(makes about 5 cups)

4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoon dry mustard
4 tablespoon brown sugar
3 bay leaf
6 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)
Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min.

I make extra and put it in the fridge and it should last for a couple of months. But it's never around that long.

When I put some pork in food saver bags, I'll put some of this sauce in there with it -- when I reheat the pork it taste just like the first time.

This is a great sauce for pulled pork and after the initial laughs from people who have never heard of mustard based sauce (uh, can you say, get out and travel...) you find this is great.

Feel free to doctor it up (add more heat) but my request is always the same, post your improvements here for us to share... I'm still looking for great rubs, sauces, mops, bastes, finishing sauces......

A friend gave me this recipe, if you know where it's from, I'd like to thank them... I'm told this is a Piedmont Sauce Most mustard sauce come from the east of the Carolina'/Georgia (as opposed to the tomato sauce from Lexington)

Smokin'Okie's Virgin Mustard Sauce
(virgin for you first time mustard sauce people)

4 cups yellow mustard
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup honey
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne

that's it, combine, boil, simmer, eat.
Enjoy and let me know how you like it.
Good Q'in

Okay Gang, Our last adventure today in Pulled Pork is a Vinegar Based Sauce. I've used this as a baste/mop, as a finishing sauce (finishing to me is putting the sauce on during the last hour) and also a serving sauce. Kick up the heat a notch in this one if you like:

Smokin Okies Vinegar Mop for Pulled Pork

(also called an Eastern Carolina Sauce)

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 tablespoons salt (I like the flavor in Kosher/Sea Salt and bigger granules)
2 tablespoon red pepper (crushed)
1 teaspoon cayenne (I've also used Hungarian Paprika)
Don't need to cook this sauce, just combine, let sit overnight. Put this on your Butt, it'll go wild.
To find out what you may or may not like, start out like this - half cup brown sugar, quarter cup pickling salt, and 1 tsp. of any spice you think you might want or like on it. Rub liberally with canola oil first, then rub liberally with the rub. Next time try a different combination of spices.
A very good rub can be ordered from www.texasbbqrub.com. You cannot beat Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce. I mix it with the pork as I'm pulling and then refrigerate, it gets better overnight. When ready to serve I reheat it in a steamer insert for one of my pots, this keeps it nice and moist while heating. Dump into a bowl, apply a litte more of Smokin's serving sauce and get ready for the compliments.
I've been smoking butts for some time with no rub and a vinegar based sauce. I thought they were good until I tried the following rub: 2 parts Cookshack Spicy Chicken Rub, 1 part granulated garlic and 1 part brown sugar. Refrigerate overnight and smoke with pecan wood until done. I'll be ordering the 5lb jug of Chicken Rub soon. Gotta restock.
ok at the risk of giving away the family farm here is the rub i started with. of course i have tweaked it some over a two year period but i will tell you where to start. but if you ever see 2 Greyhounds here for goodness sakes don't tell her or i am dead meat!!!take a pad of paper to barnes and nobles and find the book barbecue bible sauces rubs and marinades by steven raichlen, turn to page 24 and start writting. this recipe was a good starting place for me and from it you can tweak it however your tastes run.
hope this helps
jack
2 Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!
New poster here.......I currently have a gas smoker and have enoyed this forum site a lot. I have a suggestion about any mop or wet marinade that uses salt/soy sauce/worcestershire. Try adding nuoc mam, fish sauce, instead. The best is the Vietnamese nuoc mam.

There is an unbelievable flavor explosion from using nuoc mam in almost anything. My wife can't stand it, but I always use it and just don't tell her. She loves it on all meats. Used judiciously, there is no discernable odor.

I use 1:1 nuoc mam to cider vinegar plus lots of garlic, pepper, cayenne, etc. It is a great wet brine and works fabulously as a jerky marinade--cross between biltong and jerky flavor. I believe this is a secret ingredient in Slim Jim's!
I can't resist posting a recipe for JJ's Rub from the BGE website.

There is some controversy about this rub as to whether JJ plagarized it from another source and added an ingredient or two to make it seem original. And, I may have posted about this rub before- but, I find this great on pork butts and ribs, and brisket, and not to shabby on chicken.

I do not use much salt in any of my rubs. Salt is supposed to pull moisture to the surface of meat and may make it less crusty! The aroma from the CS while food cooks with this rub is awesome.

Also, if you do not have time for an overnight marinade with this rub, food tastes good if you put it on shortly before the cook. I rub the food with yellow mustard prior to putting on the JJ's Rub. Another "pearl" is to oven dry your brown sugar before putting it in the rub if it is moist or lumpy.

And, it's fun to make! Here goes:

Ingredients:

� 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
� 1 � teaspoons ground coriander
� 4 tablespoons paprika
� 1 � teaspoons ground savory
� 1 tablespoon rosemary
� 1 � teaspoons dried thyme
� 4 teaspoons onion powder
� 1 � teaspoons ground black pepper
� 4 teaspoons garlic powder
� 1 � teaspoons white pepper
� 4 teaspoons dry mustard
� � teaspoon ground cumin
� 3 teaspoons dried sweet basil
� Salt to taste
� 2 teaspoons ground bay leaves (If you can't find ground use whole)

Preparation Directions:

� Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend. If you use whole bay leaves blend until leaves are pulverized.
� Rub meat and cover with saran wrap.
� Marinade over night in fridge. Allow to come to room temperature and place in smoker.
Want some 'kick'? Try this one...

RUB:
3/4 C chopped scallion, green & white parts
1 TBS Salt
1 tsp Jamaican pimento (Allspice)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 Scotch Bonnet Peppers (or 6 jalapeno)
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Marinade:
1/4 C lime or lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp ground Jamaican pimento (Allspice)
1/4 C Rub (recipe above)
1/4 C soy sauce
1 Scotch Bonnet chopped

Crisscross cut your butt, rub thoroughly w/lime/lemon juice
Rinse and pat dry
Let rest in marinade 3hrs - overnight
Apply rub and smoke cook to 195-205
I would like to mention a few local favorites and what I feel are some of the best rubs I've had so far. the first one is well known in the Memphis area because it is made by none other than Frank Vernon ( owner of The Bar-B-Q Shop)
it is called "Dancing Pigs" and can be ordered from their website www.Dancingpigs.com
The other is "Woody's BBQ rub" made in Waldenburgh , Arkansas and is well worth trying .
And of course I saved the best for last , you cant go wrong with any of the spices and rubs made by Papa Shaka (a forum member).
Oh well, just thought I'd throw those into the mix.....enjoy
I'll give it a shot with a distinct" maybe".

Some folks may not mop butts at all.

Some may sometimes,depending on the situation.

Very large butts,or shoulders, may be in the cooker a long time.

Some folks may start mopping about 1/2 way through the cook.

The Cookshacks are considered moist cookers,and I don't do a lot of mopping.

Some mops do not taste good alone and can be used to moisten,season,or build bark.

Smokin's is a very basic,often used to moisten whole hog or pig pickin's in the Carolinas.

Baste/mop is more of a sauce, to add as you are pulling the pork,for moisture and flavor.

Also a table sauce.

Mustard is more of a table sauce,used a lot in SC.

None of these is a rule,merely an example.

Hope this helps a little.
You don't want to mop and wash off your bark.

those that use a string mop often sling or slosh it on.

A good quality spray bottle works well,if you don't have particles to clog the holes.

A spray ,like apple juice,can carmelize some and increase bark some.

I am more prone to spritz ribs and leave the rest alone.

Very large ,long cooking cuts are the exception.

But,that's just my approach.
Tom just about covered it.

It's a good question, we sometimes forget the basics so it never hurts to ask.

I mop, when I have a really long smoke or really large cut of pork. For the CS, and the smaller butts you don't have to mop unless you want to. You can, in the South they have a little "mop" to do just that, they go for about 2 or 3 bucks and you just slosh it on. You can spray, brush or whatever.

The Finishing sauce is used after I pull the pork, but before serving.

The mustard sauce can be used instead of or with the finishing sauce. It's just a BBQ Sauce so you can use it like you would for any Q sauce. You can pour it on the pork when you make a sandwich.

Hope that helps.

Smokin'
Yep, helps a bunch.. I saw one of those little mops at the resturant supply today.. Just like a little mop Big Grin

ANOTHER ??.. This doesn't have to do with mops or bastes.. but, I picked up a couple of butts at Costco today.. 15# per cryo.. Don't have a terribly thick fat cap.. I know I can put bacon on top.. but also wondering. Seems years ago I saw a tool that would "inject" fat strips into a piece of meat.. don't remember the name of it or where one might get it.

Anyone familiar with this tool?

Bill

Bill
Tom, thanks.. you have been a great help to me as a beginner.

What do you mean by "set up"?

It's in it's 12th hour in the Smokette.. I somehow understood it might be appropriate to open'er up and mop after the smoke stopped. Well, it stopped sometime during the night.. I haven't opened it up yet..

OOPS.. turned out to be a non question. I just opened 'er up and it's beautiful. There is a skin on the butt that may be too hard or dry.. not sure. But, it won't absorb any of the basting sauce. It's only been in there 12 hours and it's at 179* internal. Can't wait.
I've been across the country trying bbq and I've got to agree with DJ on the dinosaur bbq. Living just twenty five miles from syracuse I always stop there when I can and use most of their products. I pour a generous amount of their wango tango sauce on the plate next to my bbq for dipping and my guests love it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.