Skip to main content

Here's a simple pork rub from Cook's Illustrated's Best of Barbeque book. I have used it with great success. I use mustard before I apply the rub & I usually spritz with apple juice half way through & the bark is fantastic!

(Makes about 1 cup)

4 TBS Sweet Paprika
2 TBS Chili Powder
2 TBS Cumin
2 TBS Brown Sugar
2 TBS Salt
1 TBS Oregano
1 TBS Sugar
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS White Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
For mopping, have you seen the new silicone brushes? They are the greatest boon for cooks. They mop well, wash clean, do not melt or burn.
This stuff is also made into silicone pot mitts and spatulas. I love them.
And I love this site. Made pulled pork for company a few weeks ago and they ate and ate and ate. Only left us enough for 2 'pig sandwiches'.
Hello All!
A new SMO55 owner here, with a requested recipe for my: Tiny, Hot and Spicy Asian Butt.

This was a recipe I designed on the fly for my wife, and it turned out really well. I was planning on smoking a Butt, Southwestern style, the wife wanted to go for Asian. We compromised. This was my first smoke in the O55!

I'm listing the recipe as I made it with the 3# Butt, please adjust for a Larger Hot and Spicy Asian Butt!

(Asian Ingredients found at most Asian Food stores or the Asian section of your grocery)

Tiny , Hot and Spicy Asian Butt

1 - 3# Pork Butt, well marbled fattest side up

Kikkoman Triple Ginger Teriyaki Sauce (enough to coat well).
(If you can’t find this, you could use any teriyaki sauce and add lots of powdered or fresh ginger to taste)

Knorr Original Liquid Seasoning, (just a few splashes, it's salty, so use sparingly)

Sprinkle with a tsp of good Fish Sauce to complete the traditional Asian flavor. (optional)

Coat with good garlic powder

1tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper

1tsp ground Chili Piquin Pepper
(For the Southwest Heat, I told you this was a compromise!)

1/8 tsp ground cloves (I know, sounds like it doesn't belong, but believe me, it does!

Marinate for an hour or so with the teriyaki/spice mixture, while you prepare the smoker.
Smoke at 225° using Apple Wood until internal temp reaches 140°, then wrap the Butt with foil, sealing well, and put back in the smoker until internal temp reaches 195°. Remove from Smoker and let rest for 20 minutes, then as they say, Pull, Pull, Pull for the best Spicy Hot Asian Butt you've ever had!

The wife liked it so well, she told me I should open a BBQ Restaurant! (I better start looking for a bigger smoker) <Grin>

Enjoy, everyone!
I'm about to reorder some Rib Rub. I went thru the 5 pound can that came with my smoker pretty fast. If you experienced guys had a choice (for pork mainly) between CS Rib rub and Fast Eddies All purpose rub, which would you choose and what's the difference. I Like the CS brisket rub on briskets, and will likely stick to that, but trying to decide betwix CS Rib Rub and FE All purpose for my use with ribs and pork butts. I know you've shared a lot of great recipies, but I don't have the time nor inclination to mix up my own at this point. Please advise.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Well, I'll look up my rubs for butts, but here's some more suggestions from Pork Butt 101 (which you get to from the guide page at the top of the page).

I've searched all through the forums and can't seem to find a post with Smokin's dry rub recipe for butts...does that post still exist?
Any suggestions or am I best off just trying one from this thread?

(My Amerique is getting delivered tomorrow...can't wait to fire it up!)
This is my favorite made at home butt rub. Its called Southern Succor and comes from the Smoke and Spice Book. I like to sub out some of the black pepper for some good quality lemon pepper. Lawrys..McCormicks etc.

Title: SOUTHERN SUCCOR RUB
Categories: Rubs, Bar-b-q, Mine
Yield: 2 Cups

1/2 c Ground black pepper
1/2 c Paprika
1/2 c Turbinado sugar
1/4 c Salt
4 t Dry mustard
2 t Cayenne

Mix the spices thoroughly in a bowl. Store covered in a cool, dark
pantry.

~ SOURCE: SMOKE AND SPICE