Skip to main content

Ok been cooking comps for about 4 years this is first year with a fec 100 in comps been doing ok some top 10 overalls, (shes my money maker for catering) doing all 4 on one,

1st do you bother spritzing or mopping? I do,
2nd do you use a water pan (for comps only)?
3rd my tenderness is suffering on almost all meats 7's and 8's I know there could be many answer's for that one, I've been cooking big meats @about 235o 240o maybe bring it down? 225o and I do kick up for ribs and chicken about 260o chicken gets a grill finish and 4th for the guys that cambro thier meats at 8-9AM how does it stay warm enough moist enough ect and what flavor pellets I've been using OHC thanks, Pooch
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I spritz ribs, no mopping.

I don't use a water pan, but have heard of cooks doing it.

Personally, 240*-250* is where these cookers like to cook. Most cooks problem with tenderness is they don't allow for the product to setup some while it gets cold in the judging box. Wink

Yep my meat stays plenty hot and I pull it around 8am, give or take a few minutes.

I use BBQers Delight hickory and cherry for pellets. I'd guess your pellet should be fine.

Now my question, do you use the two stage smoke method?
Thanks cal for the reply on the setup do you mean to let the meat set when its done early (steam off and cambro) and not time and box it right after it comes out of the smoker? I have let it set but my big meat time off has been around 10-11 am maybe too late? And if you mean to double smoke @180o for 1 hr yes I do that for the big meats, but chicken and ribs I put them right in at about 250o no double smoking. We're heading out to Woodstock Va. as our last one this season so trying to finish on a good note, we placed 3rd ribs in George county Ms with 5th overall and 6th overall in Harrisburg Pa not bad for a Yankee! dont sound like much but me and wife were happy and I know with some tweeking and cookshacks help we can try to get better scores thanks Pooch
Cal, A home cook's question about keeping meat hot after pulling it off the smoker: Over the summer I FTC'd a brisket for 5 hours and found it to be only around 140 when I wanted to slice it, which seemed pretty cool to me. I know I had a good cooler, and I used two layers of HD foil, and a very thick layer of towels. I understand that comp cooks probably use very efficient hot boxes, but what to do at home? I've thought of a hot brick wrapped in a towel next to the brisket in the cooler. Any comments/ideas? Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Cajunjax:
Thanks cal for the reply on the setup do you mean to let the meat set when its done early (steam off and cambro) and not time and box it right after it comes out of the smoker? I have let it set but my big meat time off has been around 10-11 am maybe too late? And if you mean to double smoke @180o for 1 hr yes I do that for the big meats, but chicken and ribs I put them right in at about 250o no double smoking. We're heading out to Woodstock Va. as our last one this season so trying to finish on a good note, we placed 3rd ribs in George county Ms with 5th overall and 6th overall in Harrisburg Pa not bad for a Yankee! dont sound like much but me and wife were happy and I know with some tweeking and cookshacks help we can try to get better scores thanks Pooch

No, what I mean is that when cooking a piece of meat to correct doneness it has a way of tighten up as it cools. This will then leave the meat undercooked if it happens in the judging box. Ribs and brisket is the worse for this.

Nice job on the calls.
quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
Cal, A home cook's question about keeping meat hot after pulling it off the smoker: Over the summer I FTC'd a brisket for 5 hours and found it to be only around 140 when I wanted to slice it, which seemed pretty cool to me. I know I had a good cooler, and I used two layers of HD foil, and a very thick layer of towels. I understand that comp cooks probably use very efficient hot boxes, but what to do at home? I've thought of a hot brick wrapped in a towel next to the brisket in the cooler. Any comments/ideas? Thanks!

At home you need to rinse the cooler a couple times with hot water and then use newspapers/towels to fill any void areas in the cooler after the meat is put in.
Cajun,

From the scores and knowing what you turn in, where they too tender or just not tender enough.

Likely the later.

How do you determine when your meat is ready to pull? My ribs jumped to a 9 for tenderness when I created the Toothpick test.

For the other meats, it's a combination of temp as well as probing for tenderness AND how you are holding.

The issue about setting up is a good point. When you practice, prep a box and then let it sit on a table for 10 to 15 min THEN test it. Depending on how much it cools off that can matter. Personally I don't think it's that big an issue if it's cooked to the right tenderness, but that's me.
I know its not tender enough the brisket and ribs mostly, the ribs are getting that "meat crust" on the outside but the inside and back are bite wise on the mark I think im smoking too long before wrapping 3hrs I do a Trigg knock off when I wrap, back on for 2hrs then off and hold in cambro then maybe 45mins back on when I glaze then box, again these times vary, i pull my ribs when i get a decent pull back on the bone i dont inject my ribs i found it makes them to tuff .The brisket just doesn't have that juice when I slice it I do inject (plenty in the foil and pan) but I use angus choice and a few times a chairmans reserve same results, when I do the pull test before boxing its on the mark a nice tug I just started to pull it off at around 195-198 and also did the probe test seamed like butta! My pork I just started to pull off at about 195o or a little less and and also do the tender test I dont inject my pork, scores have been better then average. The chicken always seems less tender then it could be I brine, marinate, then inject smoke at about 250-260 butter bath then smoke then a finish on grill, chicken temp around 172-175o. I know this is a lot but we're almost there with the scores, im sure you were there too, whats toothpick test? Sticking the meat with it to see how easy it goes in?
The probe is a matter of personal feel on big meats and it is hard to get a real good feel between ribs.The toothpick can go almost anywhere between any of them.Maybe the briskets need to cook a little more?

How long are you holding the big meats in the hotbox?
Is there a reason you don't inject pork.We cook a lot of pork in the South and don't personally know anyone that doesn't inject.
Almost sounds like cal hints you aren't cooking big meats hot enough and that also will
let them stay hot longer than you want.
quote:
whats toothpick test? Sticking the meat with it to see how easy it goes in?

Exactly.

On ribs I use a round toothpick and test between ribs 3 & 4 on the brisket end of the rack. The TP should slide thru top to bottom with little or no resistance. This assumes you de-skin the ribs as that paper skin will give you some resistance.

Briskets & PB's...same principal only with a bigger TP...such as a wooden meat skewer.
quote:
... i pull my ribs when i get a decent pull back on the bone i dont inject my ribs i found it makes them to tuff ....

There's one issue. Pull back is NOT a definition of doneness. It's a symptom of the humidity of the meat, the smoker, the temp and even the makeup of the hog. I've had perfect ribs with no pullback and some with 2" pullback, all on the same FE.

let the my toothpick method for doneness, it will guarantee the tenderness. Max explained it but we discuss it here in the forum for years (and others are now doing it...damn I should have charged for it... LOL)

quote:
The brisket at around 195-198
My pork I just started to pull off at about 195o
chicken temp around 172-175o.

All those temps, if accurate, are low. I would go higher in slight stages to see if that helps with tenderness (not a lot, just a little since it sounds like you are close. You said the brisket was butta, but then your scores aren't so just adjust what you think butta is by going longer where it's like warm butta Big Grin

Chicken needs to almost overcook to start getting tender but it's a fine line.

Again, use the temps as a guide but learn to poke them to determine doneness. There are a lot of comp cooks that try to cook on a set time and a set temp and then wonder why there scores don't show the results.

I've had perfect brisket at 200 and at 210. Also, if you're slicing pork the temp will be lower than if you're pulling.
I could give you temps that I pull by or at least check for doneness, but experience has taught me that the different breeds,grades, kinds of meat will have a different finish temp that can very by 10* or so. I've found that a cook needs to find good quality meat and stick strictly with that producer....it will make life much easier to get the correct doneness, in my humble opinion.

And I agree with Smokin', those numbers look low.....
First off Okie you ever come to the east side nj, pa, md ect ill pay you back for your "Toothprick" knowledge ie Beer, Shine, Bourbon or a water of your choice! Thanks for all the help. I got you on the pull back on the ribs, do you think less time uwrapped from 3hrs to 2hrs maybe? Brisket I used to go 200-205 then I brought it down, ill go a little higher 198-200 I think I could've went higher last time, as far as the probe method ill go to warm butter! Chicken ill work on with temp I hate to go up towards 180o but we'll practice that. As far as temps and time yeah I just started to get used to poking and feel and temps only as a guide. The pork I just been doing better with 195 or so getting good slice and some good pull and tender has been mostly 8s but Tom was suprised to hear that I don't inject I just started this practice last 3 comps. and my scores went up in taste 8s and more 9s, I think the judges are missing the Pork flavor? Idk just my 2 cent .. I hope that quotes not trademarked! Thanks for all the help guys just looking to fine tune and bring somthing home to mama, last comp for our season in Va this weekend will keep you posted.
Cal just read your post I figgured as much, we are down to just me and the wife I had a partner (and other cooks) JUST TO MANY PEOPLE) that just wanted to do ribs and brisket his way it didnt work, so its been the two of us this season so were getting on the right track with 1 or 2 butchers, I just havent pulled the top end meats yet untill we get the results we want otherwise then we'll start into the high end stuff, yes I agree ill bring up the temp numbers, also this is the first season I've been cooking on the FE so we're still dialing everything in. Thanks for your time Cal and happy to be in the CS family!
Well guys, cal, okie thanks finished Va last weekend with some improvement in ribs 7th in ribs ill take it, was a call out up to 10th other meats didnt fare to well I smoked 2hrs big meats at 180 then kicked up to 240 and went to bed first time i overslept, brisket was at 210 ouch! @6:30 am nuff said still sliced it but a little dry good smoke though! Pork was good 14 out of 46 but one comment no flavor this time I injected it I may go back to no injecting, chicken well ....I brined it Friday night and forgot about it till about 8am sat. yeah sent the judges running for water! Lol but the ribs were spot on tookpick test worked and wrapped them about an hr earlier they were bite through tender two perfect scoresSmiler im not new to this just trying to dial in the right things to use the FE for all meats and comps if this is not possible let me know but the timing was dead on big meats were done early to put on the rest and they did stay warm enough in the cambro. Thanks again guys ill be ba k with more soon im sure.
Sounds like you are getting the feel.now.As you know,it is hard to get all adjusted at once.As to getting all the comp meats done on an FEC,there are a lot of cooks doing it well.

Take some of those judges' comments with a grain of salt.When they started the comment cards,they were all over the place and hard for a cook to use.If we changed every comp for the last comments,we would never get there.

As usual,good tips from cal.Especially the briskets.Most of us spent a lot of comps cooking "pretty good" briskets and trying every trick.Seems the "big boys" stayed just out of our reach.

Once we figured out the "big boys" were cooking "very good",or excellent packers -seems we became smarter brisket cooks. Wink
quote:
...... Pork was good 14 out of 46 but one comment no flavor this time I injected it I may go back to no injecting, chicken well ....

Better than my last comment of "too salty". Big Grin

Flavor can be added at different times when cooking pork. ie... injecting,rubbing,wrapping, and just before boxing. Keep an open mind!

Don't be afraid of using more than 2hrs at 180*, if needed, for timing purposes... You do know that this can be programmed into smoker by using cook/hold buttons?
Last edited by cal 2
rather than sticking the ribs bend test them. Should not tear but should be getting close to it. Get a few racks and practice a bit. I probe meats ut bend ribs. Good luck!! And my big meats are off about 9-10 am. On at 180 for a long time then ramp up in time for ribs. Cold pit and cold meat as they go in to max out the ring and smokiness.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Cajun,

From the scores and knowing what you turn in, where they too tender or just not tender enough.

Likely the later.

How do you determine when your meat is ready to pull? My ribs jumped to a 9 for tenderness when I created the Toothpick test.

For the other meats, it's a combination of temp as well as probing for tenderness AND how you are holding.

The issue about setting up is a good point. When you practice, prep a box and then let it sit on a table for 10 to 15 min THEN test it. Depending on how much it cools off that can matter. Personally I don't think it's that big an issue if it's cooked to the right tenderness, but that's me.

Russ I have read this before. I do believe you deserve the proper credit for this method of checking for properly done ribs. Give us all more information on how you came up with this and when you first did it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.