Skip to main content

I do some vending and was wondering if there is a way to setup a FEC-100 in an enclosed trailer? If I were to vent it up through the roof, would that be enough, or would I need some sort of hood as well? (wondering about the smoke that comes out when opening the door)

This is my current setup. Right now I am just dropping the ramp on the trailer. On this day, we got rained on, which got me to thinking of a way where we wouldn't have to have the back open.

Any ideas?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by MaxQue:
Grux use the FIND tool and select the advanced option. Type in ~ FEC100 venting trailer ~ into the "any combination of words" window. You'll get at least 3 threads that discuss the options.

Yeah I did that.... read through all of them and really didn't find answers to my exact question.
David from Butcher BBQ has the best setup for this that I have seen. He has his two FEC-100's mounted to the floor in the back of his 23' foot trailer. His trailer does not have a ramp door since his are mounted to the floor and are only removed for repairs, etc. He has cut two holes (one for each cooker) in the back doors and mounted an RV electrical hatch door that can be purchased at any RV store (see link below). The hatch is mounted at the exact height to run the horizontal smoke stack out of the hatch door to the outside and then an elbow with an additional smoke stack to vent the smoke up. Then, a vent cap so rain, etc will not get into the smoke stack. This back portion of his trailer is separated from the front portion with the thick plastic barriers that you would find in Butcher shops or freezers to keep the cold air from escaping into the other sections. This is used to keep any smoke that escapes from opening the doors from getting into the "work" area of his trailer. He then has a small fan mounted on the ceiling under the vent in the back portion that pulls that smoke up and out of the trailer when he opens the cooker doors, etc.

http://www.race-mart.com/Bargman-BAR-60-14-002.html

Hope this helps....

Stu
Hogs on the Sauce
Well I think this is what I will be attempting. I'd like to get your feedback on it.

This is what my trailer use to look like. Its an older picture with my Backwoods Competitor. My FEC-100 now sits in that spot.

As the picture shows, I plan on running the exhaust vent up through the roof of the trailer.

My trailer already has one air vent in the center of it. If you look at the above picture, you can see where I have drawn where I will install another vent. This one will have a fan it so every time the door opens, any smoke will be sucked up through that vent. This is the vent I plan on purchasing. It has 3 speeds (low - 478 cfm, med - 653 cfm, high - 920 cfm)

Running this fan would also pull fresh air in through my side door and other air vent in the roof. To protect the fan and allow it to run/be open during the rain, I will place one of these rain covers over the vent

Think this would work ok?
I think that would work fine. The only concern I would have venting the smoke stack out of the top of the trailer would be ensuring it was sealed for the weather. In a hard rain or snow build up, etc, the water could possibly seep into the trailer. That's why the venting out of the side of the trailer and then up makes it easier to ensure the weather does not get into the trailer. Also, when you are not using the hatch, same issue - water could get into the top much easier than the side.

Also, venting out the side would enable you to keep the stack out of hard winds by parking your trailer a different direction or foiling the rain cap. I have seen this setup in a wind so hard here in Oklahoma at a contest that it forced the smoke back into the cooker and out of the pellet hopper and smoked out the trailer.
The only issue I see with vending it out the side is the position that the smoker will have to be in. I plan on have the back facing the wall... not the side.

I have a cap on the end of my exhaust now that I use and I have no issues with the wind. If I did it through the roof, I would have something similar on that exhaust as well. I would also cover the vent while the trailer is not in use.

This is the cap I currently use

That would work.. I had a similar setup in my trailer with the FEC and I had a ramp door. I put the smoker against the ramp door with the exhaust going straight through the wall and out. But since you want the smoker against the side wall of the trailer, another elbow and straight portion could be added to your current setup to go horizontal to the wall and then through the side and out. It's up to you where you want to exhaust the smoke (top or side) - just throwing some suggestions before you start cutting holes in your trailer. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Stu's Q BBQ:
That would work.. I had a similar setup in my trailer with the FEC and I had a ramp door. I put the smoker against the ramp door with the exhaust going straight through the wall and out. But since you want the smoker against the side wall of the trailer, another elbow and straight portion could be added to your current setup to go horizontal to the wall and then through the side and out. It's up to you where you want to exhaust the smoke (top or side) - just throwing some suggestions before you start cutting holes in your trailer. Smiler

I understand that. I just didnt know if throwing another elbow into the picture would hurt the airflow???

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.