Skip to main content

I have had several instances lately with my FEC 100 not letting temp ramp up during a cook.  My last cook I started with ribs in smoker and set temp to 235* and everything was going along fine.  After a couple of hours I then tried to increase temp up to 275* as I wanted to put some chicken in it also.  I increased the temp setting up to 275*, but after 1 hour the temp still only registered about 240*. I had not yet put the additional chicken load in it, so no reason for it not to have come up to new temp set point.   I put an additional small amount of pellets in fire pot to give it a boost but that only temporarily worked and temp soon settled back to the 235-240*  range even though the set temp was still at 275*.  A quick call to Cookshack tech guys could not solve the problem.  A unit shut-off, and a unit "reset"  as was suggested did not resolve the issue either.  I am using Cookshacks pellets and my unit is stored in an attached garage when not in use, so no moisture build-up in hopper/auger.  When I upped the temp setting, the faster fan & auger speeds never seemed to start and the firepot had the "lazy" maintaining temp fire in it rather than the "jet engine" blaze it gets when first coming up to temp at unit start up.  I have removed the plenum end cap and vacuumed out the ash around fire pot so nothing blocking the air flow there.  I'm thinking it may be the control board.  Any other thoughts??  Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Olysmkes, there are a couple of things that I can think of that could cause this to occur. The first would be that the IQ5 control is set up to run at the most economical level which means it is not real aggressive. The PID looks at the set points and the actual temp as well as how fast it is climbing and adjusts the feed and fan accordingly. This would mean on a smaller adjustment it would not be as aggressive as it would be on a larger one. The other thing would be that for some reason it did not pull the settings into the program run cycle. If you could do an empty test run and simulate that cook then download the data from the control and email it to me I can look at it to see what it looks like. I have been asking about a program change that will show the set points in the data document so we can tell if the run program actually picked up the change. We are always looking at ways to improve the product as well as help trouble shoot. My email is t_marlar@cookshack.com 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.