Skip to main content

I will be using my new 120 to begin smoking my brisket recipe that I have used for years in my traditional stick burner pits. I have mastered the Pork Butt in the 120. The efficiency is out of this world. I smoke from 225 to 250 using 13 - 16 lbs briskets. Can someone give me some ideas on smoke time, wrap time and total time for the cook using the 120? Thanks for any assistance.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Nutterbuster,

Welcome to the forum. As you state, the efficiency of the 120 is great. I have found that most large cuts finish up at least a couple of hours quicker on the CS120 with no loss in quality versus my other smokers. I have not cooked a full capacity load yet, but the following has held true for up to 6 butts and 4 briskets at one time. I usually set the controller to 224° and take the briskets to 170°, which takes 5-7 hours depending on the initial meat temp and if I pre-heated the 120. I wrap them at this time in butcher's paper and continue to cook until they approach 200° internal and start probing for doneness. This is usually at 8-10 hours into the cook. Then give them a rest and enjoy. Good luck, as you have found out, the FEC is a great smoker.

BD
Always place your bottom brisket fat cap down. Any others, fat cap up. 225*, probe cook with probe in thickest part of lowest brisket. Usually takes 12 hours +/-. 197 for optimal slicing, 202 for chopped. When done, double wrap briskets separately in HD foil, then roll up in old bath towel or blanket. Place it/them in your oven or in an insulated cooler to incubate for 2-3 hours. Mmmmm good.
The FEC120 will cook quicker than the electric Cookshack smokers IMHO and from past experience with both. Also, I have not found a big difference fat side up or down in the finished meat the 120. I believe both of these are due to the convection style cooking in the 120 where the heat completely surrounds the meat instead for rising from bottom to top. Just my 2¢

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.