Skip to main content

Does anyone have problems with the pellets backing up the feed ramp and letting the firepot back fire into the pellet hopper? This has happened 3-4 times and I can't figure out what's going on. It has happened in the hold pattern and in the cook pattern. The firepot is vacumed between each use [ I need some ideas.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Two suggestions. First clean-out the sawdust & etc from bottom of your hopper & auger area with a shop vac. Second clean the ramp/chute with a small wire brush to be sure it is smooth enough so pellets don't "stick" to it. If that does not fix the problem, give Cookshack a call - they are great folks and should be able to solve your issue.

Once your problem is resolved, post here so others will know the fix.
Had the same problem when we first started using our smoker 5 months ago. Make sure you are draining the grease at least twice a day if heavy use. The moisture builds up in the pit and has no where else to go but pellet hopper. If pellets get damp at all they pile up on the feed ramp. Almost burned my restaurant down. Lesson learned. Also make sure your fire pots are cleaned daily.
Hey guys, here is an update on my problem. I contacted Bill at cookshack and he recommended that I put a elbow on top of the exhaust on my 500. He said that sometimes a draft blowing across the exhaust will cause some fire issues. Didn't make sense to me, but he is the expert so I did what he said. I have made 10 cooks since then with no more problems. Bill knows what he is talking about. I like simple.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.