Skip to main content

Hi everyone, new to the forum, not BBQ'ing. I have a 2007 FEC 100 that I purchased used about 18 months ago. This Sunday I loaded her with some ribs and pork loins, started her up as usual, but about 3-4 minutes into the heating up my elbow hit the master rocker switch and she turned off. I have been unable to get nearly any life into her after that.

What I have done, tried various outlets, cords etc etc.

I lowered the front control panel and hit the green switch, nada

I looked for other fuses, one on the board with heat sink cover is soldered in and is good, nada

I did observe there is a green LED on the heat sink'ed control board that, when plugged in, is lit green, but when the master is turned out it goes out. This is the only life I see in her.

I do know the control board was changed by the previous owner.

Anybody got anything as to what direction to go in?

Scott

PS, I have used her 20 times since getting her and she has been flawless every time until Sunday morning. Had to old school it with the BGE. S
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just came here to post...Bill is being tremendously helpful.

First try to bypass both master switch and the over heat switch - no effect still dead. Will call back Friday morning to hopefully go through with a volt meter and try to isolate the bad part(s). Anybody in the Catskill mountain are good at dealing with electronics? Smiler Scott
Just thought I'd do a catch up here for those interested. First I cannot say enough good things about Bill and Cookshack, great customer service, great help through this process.

On to the show: So we pulled out the volt meter to see what was up. I plugged in the unit and the green light on the power supply comes on. Bill tells me I need the master switch on and check the power coming into the transformer. Switch on , light out, no power to transformer, check the bus bar in front of that and still no power. I remind him the light goes out when I turn on the switch, ok, try with switch off...123.n at the transformer in, 12.8 on the transformer out. Nada on the control board. And this is with the switch OFF. So it appears as if the board is gone. No biggie, ordered a replacement and a new master switch!

Few hundred in total and out the door. Headed to Florida to yak fish some tarpon and snook in the everglades. See you all in a couple of weeks, parts should be here and hopefully I will be ready to go anew! I got cooking to do!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.