Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@joem - PID stands for Proportional Integral Derivative.  It is a controls methodology.  Controller gives an output, what's being controlled sends a feedback to the controller and it compensates accordingly.  Some pretty fancy schmancy stuff and you can really fine tune things if you understand it and know how to use it.

Yes it toast took to a repair guy he said its fried .

Not what so was expecting but after 10 years life happens. I was hoping to get at least 15 years out of it.The new controller does what I expected it to do and control the smoke and heat. When I bought the fec100 back in 2007 it worked great . No complaints about Cook shack at all . I just can not afford 2000 for new IQ5 . I posted to help other people so they can get there old FEC100 back up and running

Good to hear a PID controller works on the FEC. Mine sits outside all year long, sun, rain, snow, ice, freezing cold. The plastic keypad had all sorts of cracks, I replaced it, but not before water had gotten to the display. Now it's barely readable and all the old TV/electronics repair guys are all retiring. Can't find anyone to de-solder the old one and solder the new one in.

So far, I've replaced two relays and the 12V power supply. Might give the PID a try.

My IQ4 board was fried about 3 years ago. I was shocked that Cookshack didn’t have any back up inventory of the board or the ability to repair it. Rather than wheel the FEC100 to the curb for trash pick up, I bit the bullet and bought the $1800 IQ5. The installation was beyond my abilities. Luckily I had a friend who was able to do it for me. It was an arduous procedure. Bill Vice was as helpful as he could be via telephone. I think he felt a bit guilty because he wrote the installation instructions. Hopefully he’s re-written them since.

Punchline to the story: the IQ5 is much better than the IQ4. Much more precise and greater flexibility. Shame they didn’t build in wifi.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.