Skip to main content

I've strongly considering getting an FEC100 for about a year. I've got the funds but many of the posts on this forum are scaring me off. Especially posts about fires and controller problems. What's the real deal??? I've read how great the custoemr service is - but I want a product that is ready to go out of the box.

Your input???

Frank
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Simply put, you WILL NOT find ANY cooker that doesn't have at least a couple people having issues.

It's been mentioned before that people tend to only post their problems and not their successes. This make it seem as if the product has piles of problems and glitches.

Anyway, the best I can tell you is that there is a 30 day return policy on Cookshack products. That makes it easier to pull the trigger.
Last edited by Former Member
Frank,

I think if you go back and look at the cause of those fires.

Almost all were from long cooks, with large amounts of meat. Then followed by high temps on another food item. As with any cooker, if a large amount of grease is allowed to buiild up inside it. There may be a possibility of a fire. Cleaning the unit is always important. I replace the foil on the heat shield every four cooks. Or sooner if I'm doing larger loads.

I had a stick burner, and I did the same thing. I did a large cook and then shut the cooker down. The next time I came back, and fire it up. I had a grease fire. I should have allowed the unit to stay hot and clean itself out before I had shut it down.

I now have three FEC cookers, and I have not had any of the problems you have listed as worries. I think if you look at so of the top teams this year in the KCBS points, you will see the quality the units will produce.

Good Luck

RandyE
Thanks Randy & Crony,

I appreciate the insight. I know several people here in the RMBBQA that have FEC-100's and love them and don't have fires. I have a Traeger Texas 075 and always change the foil before each cook. What I really want is a big ole 300 or 500 to use for catering and charity events. We'll see what the new year brings...

Bone Appetit
Well I wish you had said that you were talking about the FEC500 this fire pots are located in the back of the unit, and is never exposed to any grease. I can not see anyway there could ever be a fire in the 300-500-750 units.

I got my 500 first, and it is great when you want volume or just need shelf space.

RandyE

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.