Skip to main content

I took a stab at some beef jerky last weekend and I am so dang impressed with the outcome. It was so easy following the HI MOUNTAIN directions.

I took a 7 pound Eye of Round and cleaned it up removing all of the fat and silver skin. When I was finished I had a perfect looking clean roast. I cut it in half accross the grain and placed them in a freezer bag. I froze them for about 4 hours. Pulled them out and used my meat slicer set at 6 which seemed to be about 1/8" thick. I cut with the grain long ways. And then cut those in half. I ended up with strips about 1.5"-2" wide. I applied the cure from Hi Mountain to both sides of the meat. I used the garlic pepper cure for half and Chile lime spice for the other half. I only used about 1/3 of each cure package. Cured for 24 hours turning every 8 or so hours. Into the FEC120 using MHC competition blend pellets. Set to 180 degrees and checked after 2 hours. Let them smoke for an additional 2 more hours for a total of 4 hours. Jerky was perfect. My 7 pound roast yielded 2 pounds of Jerky. I didn't take any pictures. I will definetly do it again. I will try the low sodium products next. And Teriyaki is next as well.

I ordered some 23" x 3/16" Stainless Steel jerky rods from TRINITY METAL SALES for the FEC120. I got them for $35 shipped and ordered 10 of them. For the 7 pound roast I only used 4 rods.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great Job. Wish I had a 120. I am in the process of doing a 45 pound run of eye-of-round jerky with hi mountain mandarin teriyaki. You do it the way I do, cut the slices thin. I slice them with the grain, but like you cut the eye of rounds in half and par-freeze them. I like to lay mine on the racks rather than on rods, as they come out nice and flat, some pieces as big as your hand. By the way, If you do a lot, you can buy Hi mountain cures and spices I 5 pound bulk containers.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.