Skip to main content

A little sluggish - 10º outside and 15º in the garage. Warmed up the display with a hair dryer per someone's recommendation on the forum. Turned it on and it didn't recognize that I had the probe plugged in. Once the unit warmed up some then the probe temperature appeared on the display. I am amazed at how fast this thing heats up to the set temp. - nothing like a 1000 watts at work and good insulation. Double smoking a Cook's 10 lbs. ham. I have only had my AmeriQue for a few months but as Smokin' Tom, Pags, etc. always say, use the find button - an unbeliveable wealth of information is in the forum.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just so you know that you're not alone, I have had problems with my probe also but it doesn't seem to be the temperature of the unit. If the temperature of the meat is below a certain degree (and I'm not exactly sure what that temp is) the probe will not register. I thought I had bad electronics but, with Cookshack's help, I have replaced the controllers twice to no avail. What I do to get started is put the probe in the meat and connect it to the Amerique, set the cooker's temp, and then enter some high amount of time in (like 2 hours). Usually, after about 20-30 minutes, the meat is warmed up enough so that the probe then works. I just shut off the switch, turn it back on, and set the probe temp. All is perfect after that.

The more you use your Amerique, the more you are going to appreciate it. As far as I'm concerned, it makes all of its owners experts in the art of barbeque!!
If your meat is below a certain temperature, say 36*, the probe won't register. It's not important cause you're concerned with finished temperature. Put the probe into the meat, and when the meat temp gets above 40*, the probe will register. If you're doing a pork butt or brisket, you'll have hours with probe readings. Still plenty of time with other product.
Thanks BBQTom & Pags!! I wasn't aware that the meat probe wouldn't register if the temperature of the meat was to low. By trial and error I did what you recommended BBQTom - once the meat probe temperature showed up on the display I shut it off, turned it back on and set the meat probe temp. Just another case of why this forum is so fantastic - just great - great people!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.