Skip to main content

Well I've had this baby two weeks - finally decided to test my whole setup out by doing a 7.5 pound pork butt from Sam's. Did up a slightly milder rub (my homemade rub plus some extra light brown sugar), criss-cross cut the fat cap, applied some spicy mustard and then my rub/sugar mix and then a cap of brown sugar on top. Let it rest covered in the fridge three hours (no salt in my rub at all) and then brought to room temp 90 minutes. 1 chunk apple wood, one chunck hickory - put the pork butt in on the 2nd shelf from the top, closed her up and hit Brisket/Pork Butt and Start at 7pm. We go to bed pretty early nd get up pretty early. I made my mop (vinegar, sauce, real maple syrup, rub) and at 05:30 started mopping every 20 minutes. At precisely 07:00 I heard the smoker PING and it had gone into HOLDING mode. I mopped 3 additional times over the next hour on the holding temp. Removed and let rest 30 minutes, then hand pulled and applied rub and sauce (sauce, rub, real maple syrup and Triple Sec). Just enough so the meat is wet but not swimming in it. Real nice bark on the underside and great taste. Tender and succulent. Got a big container for myself and about 1.5 pounds for my neighbor (who put my power in)... Love the simplicity

Of interest we left a small bowl of dry cat food on the deck last night for our strays - I got up about 02:30 to check on things and found that bowl empty and my disposable drip pan partially pulled out from under the smoker. I'm sure some old raccoon was dying to find out what smelled so good. LOL

Thanks Cookshack, now I'm really totally hooked

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:
Originally posted by 2nd hand smoke:
Well what do suppose smoked coon taste like..

It's not bad, I would rate the texture close to smoked rabbit, not at all greasy like possum. Remember they like to eat fish,corn,etc, so it should have good flavor, correct!

Tastes like Chicken....right? Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by GaryT:
quote:
quote:

It's not bad, I would rate the texture close to smoked rabbit, not at all greasy like possum. Remember they like to eat fish,corn,etc, so it should have good flavor, correct!

Alright! I gotta ask. If everything tastes like chicken, what does chicken taste like?
quote:
Originally posted by Chef-Boy-Arnie:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryT:
quote:
quote:

Alright! I gotta ask. If everything tastes like chicken, what does chicken taste like?

Must be coon. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.