Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

no i didn't sauce them, just used rojo's recipe. all of the wood burned. it calls for a 7 hr cook. here is the recipe:

ROJO's Rib Rub

2 cups of raw sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 teaspoons chili seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 teaspoons black pepper (fresh ground with medium flakes if possible)
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine this into a large bowl (glass is best) and mix well. This should be enough for 3 slabs of baby back ribs.

Remember to take of the membrane from the back of the rib and rub that side also.

Rub ribs down thoroughly and store in fridge 24 hours prior to smoking. Remove ribs from fridge and set them out on the counter 2 hours before placing in smoker.

The Smoking Process
This is the easy part. Use 3 ounces of apple wood. Place ribs in smoker and smoke at 225 degrees for 7 hours. That's right 7 hours. I know CookShack says 3 or 4 hours, but trust a Memphian, you want to go for 7 hours. I should warn you now. When doing this for the first time, don't invite anyone over. If you do, you won't get more than 2 or 3 bones.
"Babybacks" can range in size from a couple of pounds to huge loin back ribs at 5 pounds or more, so don't assume that all ribs take the same amount of time.

Topgun - Unless you have tried it, why not shut up and let people post? Cookshacks retain moisture unlike stick burners and it's obvious that you either don't own one or are basing your opinion on past experience with other equipment.

I prefer to cook at 250 degrees and regularly exceed five hours without being "Charred beyond recognition".
Guys,

Let's stay on topic and just a little reminder about the rules of the forum.

For the newbies (less then 8,000 posts) Big Grin

Don't make it personal. I'll go with the discussions about weight, but NO name calling.

Period.

Keep it fun and respectful, or don't post. You have a question about content, ask.

On to the barbecue....

7 hours can happen, for a lot of reasons. The smoker could have a different temp, the BB could be loin backs.

KEY is

quote:
It's done when it's done

Means that for you it might take 3,4,5 and someone else it could be 5, 6 or 7.

Loins backs can easily reach 3.5 even 4 pds and they'll take forever.

Opening the door will extend the cook.

There are a lot of variables.
Could understand why you got irritated. My initial reaction when reading your post was "overdone"?

Then reading further through this thread and your subsequent posts, I realize I've got a lot more to learn and experience. I've got to get to the point where I recognize what types of meat (ribs for example will take longer to smoke). Otherwise, I could be setting myself up for a disappointing major barbecue. Only one answer. Practice, practice, practice.
I am posting this as a sincere apology, not only to the gentleman who made the original post, but to others as well. I clearly violated the "rules" and I apologize. I had just left another site where highly opinionated posts are entered, and guess I still was steamed about something. I knew i was out of line after I sent it, as I know from reading many other posts on this site, that many things can determine results. My experience is not the "only" way. So, sorry, folks. It won't happen again...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.