Hi everyone, I'm week one into my SM008 ownership so took a day off  work and tackled a brisket.brisket flatI bought a 12 pound packer but due to smoker size decided to separate the flat and point and just cook the flat today.  After a few youtube videos I decently butchered the brisket last night and set out on my brisket flat smoke today.  

This morning I applied a basic bbq rub, mostly course salt and pepper with garlic powder and paprika.  I got the smoker going at 250 with a decent size piece of apple wood.  The brisket went in at 8:20 at 48 degrees.  I was surprised at how quickly the temp climbed, by 9:00 it was at 100, 9:20 it was at 134 and by 10:30 it was at 173!  I was wondering what was going on so I freaked a bit, opened the smoker and checked a few spots and dropped the smoker back to 230.  Where did the  stall go???

Well as it turns out I had just hit it because by 11:45 it was sitting at 163.  Time for a foil wrap!  I gave it a double heavy duty foil wrap and at 12:45 with about 1/2 cup of beef broth it was holding steady at 163.  Then all of a sudden at 1:00 it started creeping up again to 175 by 1:15 and 185 by 1:45 then by 2:15 it was at 195 and out it came.  I let it rest until 4 and then I opened it up. 

brisket cookedI wish I had left it about a half hour more, it was good but not quite tender enough, I was a bit disappointed.  The taste was great but it needed a bit more flex and tenderness.  I cut a notch before I put it in the smoker so I was right across the grain with my cuts but it just needed a bit longer argh!  Also, there wasn't much of a fat cap and I would have liked a bit more fat, but that's the way it came in the pack. 

I think it was a good first brisket but man of man if I had just left it a but longer!  I should have done more tenderness toothpick testing like I saw in some posts here.  Next time I tackle the point.... My son got fancy and made brisket poutine.  

Thanks everyone for the tips to get me this far.brisket poutine

Attachments

Photos (4)
Original Post

Don't feel alone, most of the best brisket cooks have had a dry/tuff brisket in their early days.  Don't be afraid of letting it cook until you can slide a probe in and out of the brisket like the feel of the probe going into a jar of room temp peanut butter.

Add Reply

Likes (0)