Skip to main content

Just completed the first, of many I hope, cooking's with my SM008 CS. Cooked an 8 lbs pork butt begining at 8:30 PM last night and just now took it out of the smoker 4 PM today. Never consider that it would take that amount of time to smoke is this typical? Looked and smelled great letting it rest as I post this message. Looking forward to learning how to smoke and have fun.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ron -- Congrats on your purchase & "Welcome to the Cookshack Nation!"

Each butt will cook a little differently. Plan on about 2-2.5 hrs per lb. You did well in starting your smoke the night before.

When telling about or asking questions your experience it's good to know what temp you used, kind of wood & how much, internal temp, etc. The more detailed you get the better someone will be able to assist with problems or make suggestion for your next smoke.

Take good notes so a mistake is not repeated or a fantastic end product can be replicated.

Read Smokin's 101s and Lessons for new users. Tons of great info there.

Good luck & have fun!
Hi Ron.

Did you first smoke-season the Smokette with wood only for a few hours? Did you poke a hole in the bottom foil for the drain hole? What temp did you cook at? Did you cover the top of the woodbox only and not block any airholes? Did you use a cabled thermometer probe down the smoke hole? Did you open the Smokette at all after starting the cook? Are you sure the top and bottom smoke hole and drain hole were clear and unonstructed and the drain pan was not so big as to inhibit airflow? How big was the butt? I am gonna guess it was 7-8 pounds. If so, your cook time is close to average. The more seasoning you get built up in the Smokette, the times will get slightly faster or shorter. You should be doing butts on at least 215*. Most turn up to 225* or so when the plateau is hit.

Cool
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.