Skip to main content

I just purchased a 009 from Cabelas and seasoned it as directed and tried it for the first time this weekend. I put 4 chicken breasts and 4 chicken legs and thighs in. The basic recipe book called for 3 hours at 225. I put a Polder meat thermometer in to attempt to reach 180 degrees. After 4 1/2 hours I could never get the temp above 165 which remained the same for about the last hour and a half. I took the chicken out and finished it on the barbque grill. Did I just not wait long enough or could there be a problem with my smoker. Any advice from those of you who have done this for awhile would be appreciated.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I never have a problem getting my chicken above 170 with the smoker. I usually crank it all the way up. It takes one to two hours maximum. I go light on smoke becasue you can really taste it. I always finish on the grill if I want crispy skin or peel the skin and enjoy. I have cooked many pounds of chicken and they always turn moist and supreme.
How many times did you open the door to check temp?

Chicken pieces and whole poultry are best done turned all the way up with 1 oz wood or less.

Try a whole chicken. Put it in on full blast and let it go 4 hours before opening the door to check temp with a instaread. Hard to get a good reading with a cabled probe on chickens, but your mileage may vary in the breast or thigh. I know they say do not cook by time, but chicken and ribs might be the exception.

Your smoker will get more efficient the more you use it and get a good seasoning built up. 1 way to jumpstart the seasoning is to smoke up a big fatty pork butt with 4 oz wood. Let it go to at least 195* before opening door.

Good luck !

Cool
For new smokers, the first things:

1. Verify the smoker temp. When it's on 225, is it averaging around 225?

2. Remote probes. Test them, wouldn't be the first time they don't register the temp on the display

3. Read the "lessons for new users" at the Top, it covers a bunch of the general lessons that new users have uncovered.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
For new smokers, the first things:

1. Verify the smoker temp. When it's on 225, is it averaging around 225?

2. Remote probes. Test them, wouldn't be the first time they don't register the temp on the display

3. Read the "lessons for new users" at the Top, it covers a bunch of the general lessons that new users have uncovered.

4. Listen to Smokin! Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.