Skip to main content

I bought a Food Saver a couple of days ago and it has come to my attention that perhaps I did not get the one does many tricks. This was a big oversight on my part as I love those tricked out kitchen gadgets.

Anyone wanna talk about your Food Saver, what it does, and what you like about it?

I already know that Andi blows up marshallows in jars with hers. Razzer

Donna
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Donna,

Yours is fine. I have the same "version" spent about that price at Sam's but I've had mine for 2 years (and it might have died recently).

The "fancy" ones, according to most, don't do a better job, unless you're talking the restaurant versions. If you look at the pump size, they're pretty close.

I haven't found a good source for cheap bags, you'll spend most of your $$$$ on those. I by the rolls so I can do the size I want. I do cooked ribs and they work perfect.

Here's a recommendation:

I take brisket or pulled pork and put them in "serving" sizes then freeze. Take them out of the freezer as needed. I add a little juice to the pork, let it sit, then seal it. To rehead the pork, just do what they say and drop it into boiling water, comes out like the original. Nope, dont boil the brisket.
"Also as long as I got ya; Why is salt used in rubs for briskets when
salt is a dehydrator and dryness is a major complaint of brisket?"

Damn good question, Lamar! I use no salt on any meat until served and then the choice is up to the eater. The exception is brined things.

Eeker
Donna,the nice thing about the 1050 and the Pro II models is that they have a progression of indicator lights that show a successful seal......They also have a manual override on them, if you need to control when or how much......The lights especially help on the jars and canisters.....The chain department stores in FL have been running the 1050 kits in their current sales.....One word about the walmart FS is that they may not have the port for the vac hose,which is necessary to do all other than bags.
Well, do I ever feel stupid. I have Model 350, which does not allow me to brag and pretend to be one of the big boys. Hmph! Now I have to do some research and spend a bunch of energy justifying how I NEED one of the others. Hmmmmmmmmm ... maybe *Cookshack* needs one to keep at my house ... Stuart? ...

Donna Smiler
PS I did what Smokin' mentioned ... portioned the meat for family meals, fs'ed it, and froze it. I brought some brisket back by using the defrost cycle on my microwave (shudder) and it worked great.

And now that I know that I have the same kind that Smokin' has I don't have to feel sorry for myself. After all, if *he* uses it, it *must* be okay. (When do I get paid for remarks like this, Smokin'? Big Grin )

Donna
I've conducted all the research on FS bags. You can look up online coupon codes all over the internet and get 30 percent off the FS website. Also, over 100 dollars, there is free shipping. ALSO, if you order of eight of a single item, there is an additional 30 percent off. Got em down to about 19-21 cents for quart bags and 22-24 cents each for liner foot of 11 inch bags. I also ordered a bunch of the ziploc FS bags with the 7 dollar device. They work great for jerky, but you can't freeze them.
Smokin' I know what ya mean about the $$$ of rolls.
I bought a couple rolls (50') of the economy bags from Vacuum Sealers Unlimited. That is the equivalent to 3+ of the FS rolls.
You have to make 2 rolls out of them to fit in the machine. The width is fine and 1/2" wider than the FS.
I have reviews going on a few other forums, along with a discount code for forum users.
I don't know if I'm allowed to post it here, but I'll be happy to pass it along.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
Originally posted by Jarhead 1970:
I don't know if I'm allowed to post it here, but I'll be happy to pass it along.

Please let us know. As long as they're not selling smokers, links to good deals for Forum Members is a good thing.

Alright, here y'all go. This is good til the end of May and it's for 10% off before shipping.
Code = SMOKEMAY2012
I have stuff frozen for almost a month and they are holding fine.
I have pulled pork, pulled chicken, sliced ham, bacon, smoked sausage, pulled beef and some dried peppers packed. Not one has failed, unlike FS bags that I have used.
I'm in the process of putting my review on my blog for reference.
I just got the variety bundle of bags, which are premium quality and will get them tested this week. Also got some of those fancy zipper bags for spices, since I buy 1+ pounds at a time.
Heres my Blog (in progress)
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
I bought a Food Saver a couple of days ago and it has come to my attention that perhaps I did not get the one does many tricks. This was a big oversight on my part as I love those tricked out kitchen gadgets.<br /><br />Anyone wanna talk about your Food Saver, what it does, and what you like about it?<br /><br />I already know that Andi blows up marshallows in jars with hers. Razzer <br /><br />Donna

I have bought the FoodSaver V3835, and I am very happy with it and use it a lot. Occassionally I use bags, but the most economical way to use it is with jars. Thanks for sharing this information.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.