Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'd first check the GFI. Depending on the quality, they can degrade pretty fast after installation, especially if they are installed outdoors. I've had to replace a few low quality GFI outlets after only a couple of years, even mounted inside "weatherproof" boxes. If the GFI is good (I use a small circuit tester with three LED bulbs on it that tells you about bad connections), then I'd suggest calling CS. I seem to remember a pretty recent thread here with the same issue, which might have some good info on resolution. Good luck!

Looks like I bought a Stainless steel box took the back off and checked everything no moisture all connections are tight still trips breaker as soon as the heating element kicks in, element shows to be good and it does start to heat before it kicks the breaker, I did hook it up to my generator and it showed it was pulling 800 watts before it kicked out. Maybe a bad controller, I may just see if I can get some of my money back and call it a day.

Some smokers seem to need a "drying out" after being stored.  I have seen a few threads in other forums where the user has trouble with GFI outlets.  After they try a regular circuit and run the smoker for awhile, they work just fine on a GFI circuit. Supposition is that there is some moisture in/on the element that allows enough current leakage to trip the GFI.  Getting the element hot gets rid of the moisture and things work again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.