Skip to main content

A glossary of terms for new users (and old).

Changes and additions should be added to this post and are gratefully accepted.

============================================

ABT  -  Atomic Buffalo Turd - a jalapeno pepper filled with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and then smoked.

Beinks or Boinks (see also Burnt Ends and Moinks)
- Burnt ends wrapped in bacon, slathered with BBQ sauce and smoked till sauce is tacky.

Brining - a mixture of water, salt, and sugar/seasonings to immerse poultry, turkey and other meats.  Used to moisten and flavor meats. Brining 101

Burnt Ends - Additional smoking of the brisket point once the brisket flat is done. (see also Beinks/Boinks and Moinks)

Cambro - Usually means a carrier of food pans for serving at some other time/location. Cambro is the company that makes many of these carriers.

Chuckies - Chuck roast smoked and pulled for BBQ beef sandwiches.

Clods - Beef shoulder sometimes used as a brisket replacement.

Cold Smoke Baffle  - a flat, insulated plate (sold by Cookshack) which closes off most of the heat in the lower part of a smoker but allows smoke to rise to the cooler section above it.  Used for cold smoking, usually with a pan of ice to keep things cooler.

Commissary  -  a place for preparation of food.  In commercial food vending, a commissary is usually a place certified and meeting the requirements of the local health department.

COV Cry-O-Vac. When a whole cut of meat is sealing in an air tight bag, such as a full packer brisket, it's in a COV

EVOO  -  Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Fatties  -  Smoked one pound "logs" of breakfast sausage, especially the maple flavor ones by Jimmy Dean.

Flat  -  the thinner part of a beef brisket as opposed to the point or deckle.

FTC The use of foil, towel, and cooler to let a meat 'rest' to distribute juices but also to hold the meat for later if needed. Foil the meat, wrap in a towel, and place in a warm cooler and the meat should stay hot for hours.

GFI  - an electrical outlet protected by a Ground Fault Interrupt mechanism.  Protects equipment (and people) when there is a ground problem in an electrical circuit.

KCBS - Kansas City Barbeque Society; sponsor of many BBQ contests in the mid-west.

Maverick - company that makes probe type meat thermometers, most of which work remotely.

Moinks - Italian sausage meatballs stuffed with mozzarella cheeze wrapped in bacon.

Mop -  a solution applied to meat as a baste or as a moistening agent after meat is cooked.

MSS - Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Packer - An entire brisket as described here which would include both the point and the flat. The term "Packer" refers to the fact that it's sold as received from the meat packer and is usually in the original cryo pack.

Plateau - the point during smoking of meat where the temperature will stay the same or even drop slightly.  May last for hours while smoking a pork butt or a beef brisket.  This is the temperature where the collagen in the meat is breaking down making the meat tender.

Point/'Deckle - best known as the fatty part of the brisket, the favored cut for pastrami and the aficionado's preferred part of "smoked meat,"

Polder - company that makes probe type meat thermometers, some of which work remotely.

Pork Butt - Despite the name, pork butt does not come from the rear end of the hog--it is cut from the shoulder.  The pork shoulder weighs 12-18 pounds and consists of two portions: the butt, which is the upper portion of the shoulder, and the picnic, which is the lower portion.   Pork Butt

PM - Private Mail. "PM me" means to send that person a private email. Go to the persons profile and there you will find "Send Private Message to ". Click on that to send a private email.

Remote Thermometer  -  a probe type thermometer for determining the internal temperature of meat.  The probe unit at the smoker transmits the current temp readings to a remote unit which can be anywhere within range of the probe
unit.

Rub/Seasoning -  usually a combination of spices applied to meat before smoking.  May also be used as a flavoring after meat is cooked such as adding it to pulled pork.  (see mop)

St Louis style Ribs - Spareribs cut "St Louis Style".  This cut involves removing the skirt meat on the back side (bone side) of the slab and also cutting off the brisket or what is also known as rib tips.   St Louis Ribs

Select/Choice/Prime  - a grade of meat based on specific criteria. Grades of Meat

Smokette -  A Cookshack smoker model 008 or 009

Spares -  the most inexpensive cut of pork ribs. They are a long cut from the lower portion of the pig, specifically the belly and breastbone, behind the shoulder, and include 11 to 13 long bones. There is a covering of meat on top of the bones as well as between them.

Stick Burner - Any smoker that uses full logs (sticks) for the fuel. Usually meant to be the full size smokers that are trailer mounted.

Thermapen/insta-read  - an instant reading thermometer used to check the internal temperature of meat.   Thermapen

TQ/Tenderquick - a product of Morton Salt which is a curing agent for meat. TenderQuick

Tri-tip  - The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 ½ to 2 ½ pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin. About Tri-tips

Turbinado (sugar)  - a raw form of sugar used in rubs and other recipes. Burns at a higher temperature then white sugar and doesn't clump when put into rubs. Turbinado Sugar

Turducken - a dish consisting of a partially de-boned turkey stuffed with a de-boned duck, which itself is stuffed with a small de-boned chicken.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Give credit to Q, he came to me with the idea, so I asked him to post.

If you have more to add, feel free to post and I'll cut and paste that into the original.

ThanksQ, great start.

p.s. I do have ONE change to make if it's okay, instead of linking to another site for Brining, how about my Brining 101 instead?
Smokin'
Definitely. I thought of that in the middle of the night after I had posted that.... My thought on the brining was to find a description of what brining does rather than how to brine. I'll admit I didn't look at your brining 101 but just googled for an explanation.

Just looked at brining 101 and it is excellent in that regard. I made the change. And BTW, it is a little tough to find Brining 101. It's not listed with the other 101's under either Open Forum or Turkey. You have to go down a few levels to find it.
How about these you forgot:

Shoe stopper: that piece of fat that slides off of a freshly smoked butt and right on top of your shoes.

Doggie chaser: what you call the rack/half rack of ribs you had to chase the dog for to recover since you cooked just enough for your company.

Phonebook: what a 4-6# brisket flat looks and tastes like after you dry it out in the smoker because you should only cook packers.
quote:
Originally posted by doogster:
What is a stick burner, I'm guessing it's an all wood smoker, I DID try the find function and every mention seemed to assume you knew what one wuz.

Stick Burner Any smoker that uses full logs (sticks) for the fuel. Usually meant to be the full size smokers that are trailer mounted.
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
Somin':

Could you add the following to the Glossary:

FTC - The use of foil, towel, and cooler to let a meat 'rest' to distribute juices but also to hold the meat for later if needed. Foil the meat, wrap in a towel, and place in a warm cooler and the meat should stay hot for hours.

as the original poster you can go back and edit your own posts
quote:
Originally posted by Todd G.:
How about these you forgot:

Shoe stopper: that piece of fat that slides off of a freshly smoked butt and right on top of your shoes.

Doggie chaser: what you call the rack/half rack of ribs you had to chase the dog for to recover since you cooked just enough for your company.

Phonebook: what a 4-6# brisket flat looks and tastes like after you dry it out in the smoker because you should only cook packers.

Classic! I cried laughing

How to find a good restaurant near to you ?

I’m a chef and food lover also. I always try to find a new place to eat. But in every area there is no a specific person that tells you about a right place to eat. So, i tried and find a great menu site that always guides you to go to a right place. Give you every kind of food recipe and food restaurants. Visit here

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.