Skip to main content

My name is Dan and I am new to this forum. I am in the proccess of convincing my wife that a CS smoker is the best item for us to purchase during theses hard times. I am almost there. Wish me luck. Anyway, I am in need of a supplier for various smoking woods. I see wood chunks, chip, factory seconds. What should I use and what is a good wood to meat ratio? Good to be here! Dan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK, my questions about citrus woods has been answered, almost. In my town there are a few groves that have some old trees on them. They have died and the trees are still standing. I am sure that I could get some wood from them, right? Should I be concerned of the fertilizers used or pesticides used on them? I ate the oranges!! Your thoughts? Dan

Guys, my complimentary box of Hickory Chunks are about to run out and I'm looking for more. CS has them but would charge almost as much for shipping as the 20lb box costs. Amazon has a number of options but quality seems to be an issue with wide size ranges, wood chips and saw dust thrown in. Can anyone suggest a good solid source of hickory wood chunks ideal for the CS? Thanks!

Flyingman: "it is a mix of large and small pieces, some are really just too large I think. Wish I had a band saw to cut to size, but they will do."

I just use a large size wood chisel and a rubber mallet to break them up to smaller chunks (on a block of wood or a paver, being careful with the chisel). It works great and I always get the size chunks I want.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.