Skip to main content

REPRINT:
Goode COMPANY Barbecue
5109 Kirby at US Hwy 59 713.522.2530. Open 7 days 11-10.

This could be the most sensational baste ever. The smoky bacon lends great depth of flavor. Once all the ingredients are lined up, the rest is easy.

Beef Baste
4 cups beef broth 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 bay leaves 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup chopped onions Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
1/4 cup chopped celery Juice of 2 lemons
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper 2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup minced garlic 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Jim Goode's BBQ Beef Rub (see recipe) 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard 1 pound finely chopped bacon

1. Bring broth, bay leaves and oregano to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.

2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, green pepper, garlic, Beef Rub, mustard, salt, white and black pepper, and cayenne. Cook until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes, then add to broth along with the lemon zest, juice, soy sauce, vinegar and the oils. Stir to combine.

3. Cook the bacon in a nonstick skillet until soft. Add the bacon and any rendered fat to the broth mixture. Continue simmering until the broth is reduced by a fourth, about 45 minutes to an hour. Adjust the seasonings and baste away!

Makes 6 cups. Per ounce: 32 calories, 3g fat, 4 mg cholesterol.

Jim Goode's BBQ Beef Rub

Jim's rub, one of many being used all over the country today, enriches not only beef but also pork and lamb. It's easy to prepare and easy to store: Once you mix Jim's spices, they'll keep in an airtight jar in your pantry all summer long.

2 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground savory
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt, to taste

1. Prepare the rub: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Store the mixture in an airtight container for up to four months. There's no need to refrigerate it.

2. To use the rub, massage it into the meat thoroughly the night before you plan to grill. Wrap the meat well in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until grilling time, so that the flavors will be absorbed into the meat.

Makes 3/4 cup. Per tablespoon: 18 calories, .3g fat, no cholesterol.

BBQ Brisket with Goode's Mop

Although Jim Goode uses his BBQ Mop for basting smoked meat, it's flavorful enough to use as a sauce for cooking brisket, and you'll barely miss the smoky flavor. Slice the brisket and re-form it in the pot halfway through the cooking. It's much easier to cut it at that point. Use a long, sharp carving knife and slice the meat against the grain.

1 first-cut brisket (about 5 pounds)

1/2 cup Jim Goode's BBQ Beef Rub

8 carrots, halved crosswise

3 cups Jim Goode's BBQ Mop

1. The night before serving, rub the brisket well all over with the BBQ Beef Rub. Wrap well in plastic and place in the refrigerator overnight for the meat to absorb the flavor of the rub.

2. Brown the brisket well on both sides over hot coals, 3 to 4 inches from the heat source, for about 8 to 10 minutes per side.

3. When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the brisket in a large, heavy oven-proof pot. Add carrots and Jim Goode's BBQ Mop. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours.

4. Remove the brisket from the pot to a cutting board. Slice the brisket 1/4-inch thick. Re-form the sliced brisket in the pot. Spoon the sauce over the top, cover and cook 1 hour longer, basting occasionally with the sauce.

Serves 6. Per serving: 672 calories, 33g fat, 219mg cholesterol.

****source Texas Monthly Magazine
****source HoustonChronicle Parade Magazine (May-21-1995..pg 11-13)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I was the one who posted JJ's rub for the Cookshack forum some months ago. This is the same as the above rub in the complicated recipe for a baste posted above with the exception of one ingredient.

I have been following the controversy on the forum that has been mentioned.

I hope we are not trying to get involved in the haggles that are obviously evolving from this. Hopefully, we are above this sort of thing. I also wonder about the timing of this post?
Bobby
The rub is not the problem, it's the behavior of the person that laid claim to it and the way he treats those that disagree with him. I have not seem that behavior on the this forum.
If we treat people we disagree with respect the problem you speak of is taken care of by those involved without the hostilities. You can maintain a place that folks are willing to go and ask question and interact without fear of a personel attack.
SmokinOkie and the rest of the CS folks have made this a great place to visit and feel welcome. I for one say Thank you for your efforts.
Jim
Appreciate the comments "boys".

I always try to keep us above the fray. If you want to have controversy...there are plenty of forums for that.

And we like being the "fun" Forum.

The idea here is that hopefully we post recipes with "permission".

Share great ideas and tell us what you think without fear of being made fun of. EVER.

But, let's be above board.

If there's controversy...well, I'll just delete it.

Let's have fun here. There's plenty of places on the net for other opinions.

If you have a question about Q...even if you don't own a CS, stop on by, we'll help you out. No questions asked (except about your recipes Wink

My reason for asking. If you quote somebody's recipe, give them credit and that's good enough. If you don't have permission..well....

For Example, I work really hard on the 101 series, but I've seen excerpts copied elsewhere without giving credit...oh well. I'm not losing any sleep. Enjoy my recipes...and you know who you are.

Thanks and let's get back to the F...U....N!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.