Skip to main content

Hi guys!!!

I decided to try and make my own salsa recipe yesterday, and it turned out great, especially since it was my first attempt. Here it is:

1 small can tomato puree
2 cans whole peeled tomatoes
1 T. minced garlic
2 t. mexican chili powder
1 capsicum (bell-pepper), coarsely chopped
3 or 4 fresh tomatoes, finely chopped (preferably vine-ripened tomatoes)
a splash of white vinegar
2 medium size brown onions, chopped coarse
2 T. liquid smoke (sorry Smokin', didn't have the time to smoke the tomatoes)
1-2 T. chopped pickled jalapenos
2 pickled habaneros, finely chopped
1/2-1 cup water
2 T brown sugar
salt to taste
white sugar to taste

Bring mixture to a boil & then simmer until it starts to thicken. Let cool and serve with corn chips.

If you don't wish to use liquid smoke, you could cut the tomatoes and smoke them for a few minutes before adding them to the mixture.

Try it and let me know how how you like it.

Micah in Oz'
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry for the misunderstanding Smokin', but I do recall you saying something about Vegemite one time which sounded like you didn't like it, so I thought I'd drop a joke!!! I'm still trying to figure out a way to use Vegemite in my sauces. When I work it out, I'll let you know.

Micah in Oz' Smiler
Hey Honolulu, Vegemite isn't all that bad!!! The secret to enjoying it is that it must be spread VERY thinly, and we often put other things such as cheese with it in a sandwich so that it isn't too overpowering (it is very salty). It is made by KRAFT from the by-products of the yeast used in beer production and is one of the world's richest known sources of Vitamin B. If you want to know more, click on the link below. I usually make a sandwich out of it using a thin layer of Vegemite, a slice or two of cheddar cheese, and a few strips of red capsicum (bell pepper).

Cheers from Down Under,

Micah in Oz'

Vegemite Info
Smiler Wink
Hey Mike Venezuela!!!

I originally posted Sticky-Date Pudding over in the open forum, but since then Smokin' moved it here in the recipes forum. It is an awesome dessert that goes perfectly with almost anything, especially ribs and scotch fillet. Give it a go, you'll love it!!!!

G'day,

Micah Smiler Cool

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.