Skip to main content

I had some issues with the controller. I called talked with Tony. He told me some things to look for that night when I got home. I did that , but still had the problem. Called again, Bill called me back in less than 10 min. I had to take off work to do this in case I needed to test something. Well the display strated to act up while I was on the phone. Bill heard the beeping and said he would send out a new board. I received it today, fixed the problem. Now I can smoke on Saturday as planned.

Thanks Bill and Tony great job. You guys are the reason I bought my 2nd Cookshack.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just ordered my new amerique the other day, after many months of painful deliberation. It is a lot of money to spend on a smoker. Now after reading about problems with the controllers I am having second thoughts. I can just imagine the look on my wife’s face when I fire up the smoker for a big cook and have controller failure. The kind of money I am paying I thought these things would be good to go right out of the box.
Seems kind of early to be worrying about a bad controller, but you can be assured you'll wind up with a darn good smoker and feel real good about your purchase. In the mean time, relax and know you are important to Cookshack. One way or the other, you will be happy.

Don't forget they have a 30 day money back guarantee. I'm willing to bet right now. You will never use it.
First off welcome to SMF, I think you're gonna like it here

Yes, it is a lot of money to spend on a smoker. In a perfect world nothing would ever wear out. Problems happen with everything from cars to smokers. The thing to remember is people like me didn’t start posting the fact that our smokers worked right out of the box you're only seeing post about problems. Should you have a problem with your AmeriQue Cookshack will do their best to remedy it ASAP.

It took me 3 years to pull the trigger to buy my AmeriQue, but then I had a Smokette to use in the mean time. I have used my AmeriQue almost every weekend for a year now and never have had a problem with it.

While you’re waiting on delivery check out Smokin’s 101s and other forum posts so you can hit the ground running when it gets there

Don't forget to let us know how it goes
HAC111:

Welcome. I have had an AmeriQue almost 4 years and it worked perfect right out of the box, and still runs perfect.

You will love it and have wonderful Q.

There is nothing you can buy that is great quality and does the job that is cheap, and anything that is mechanical will have a few problems!!

Price will long be forgotten while quality is remembered. Big Grin
Last edited by Former Member
I agree Tigerfan! There is very few things that I have bought and made me realize in a short period of time that I received a bargain for my money, but I have to say the biggest bargain I've ever gotten for the money was a CS.

I'd love to say personally that CS customer service fixed my smoker, but hey, I've not needed it yet. Oh well, I'll believe my fellow family members when they say it's the BEST, if needed.
quote:
Originally posted by HAC111:
I just ordered my new amerique the other day, after many months of painful deliberation. It is a lot of money to spend on a smoker. Now after reading about problems with the controllers I am having second thoughts. I can just imagine the look on my wife’s face when I fire up the smoker for a big cook and have controller failure. The kind of money I am paying I thought these things would be good to go right out of the box.

As one of those customers who did end up with a faulty Amerique controller, let me say this:
I have purchased over the years: Smokette 008, CS 150, FEC100. I have NEVER had a problems with ANY of them. My Americue arrived on December 23rd and I discovered a problem with the LED read-out the next day when I loaded up a Prime Rib for Christmas Eve dinner. Cookshack was down for the day (holiday) so I sent Stuart Powell (owner) an e-mail, hoping he could offer a solution. Stuart called me within 30 minutes! He explained that the control board supplier shipped CS faulty parts. The following Monday, Tony from customer service CALLED ME and made arrangement for a new board to be shipped. It was here within 2 days.

Yes, sometimes things do go wrong but you can rest assured that Cookshack stands behind their products 110%. NEVER had I encountered such incredible support and service before. And...the Prime Rib cook was a success as a result of Mr Powell's suggestions and guidance.
Don't regret your purcase. My smokett is still working after 9+ years. The issue with the sm066
Will be marked up to 3% of everything is defective. That number is an industry standard.
What makes a differnce is how the company handles the problem. Cookshack has always had the reputation in doing whats right for the end user.

Read other forms you will see other people with other brands of smokers are not so lucky
quote:
.. The kind of money I am paying I thought these things would be good to go right out of the box.

I think people notice the negative more readily than the positive. In an owners forum, like this, it's where people pose questions or issues. I think if you counted up the number of positive owners, it would be a very, very small number of problems. We do get owners saying how much they love them. But not everyone who owns a CS is in the forum.

When there IS a problem, we do hear from everyone.

Not to worry, get and and see what happens first. If it works as it should, great.

If it didn't (small chance) then call CS.

I don't think you've EVER seen a post where CS failed to take care of the customer. I don't work for them, but in my 11+ years, I really don't remember a negative Customer Service comment.
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Smokin Larry:
quote:
It is a lot of money to spend on a smoker. Now after reading about problems with the controllers I am having second thoughts.

Non-issue. No need to worry about bridges that you haven't seen, let alone try to cross.

Even though I was one of those with controller issues, I completely agree with Crazy Smokin Larry. Don't worry about. Cookshack seems to have just gotten a batch of controllers with a few bad ones, and the AQ I got just happened to be one of those. It was no big deal. Cookshack sent me a new one immediately, and I had no interruption in my smoke schedule. Just finished a delicious brisket. I couldn't be happier with my AQ.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.