Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
So as not to threadjack, I started a separate one.

SmokinMAINEiac--

Que'n RN mentioned you sent him a Greek rub in his exchange package. Is it a commercial rub or homemade? If homemade, care to share your recipe? Cool

Pags

PS If personal or family secret, I can deal with it.

Hey Pags,

No secret recipes in my collection. I am always glad to share but appreciate that there are some folks who don't.

Sorry, the rub is not homemade. It is Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning. It was recommeded to me by the owner of my favorite meat shop as the best selling seasoning in his store. He even gave me my first container. It is good on everything, but I like it on chicken. In fact, I'm going to rotisserie a chicken on my Weber Summit this w/e and I'll be using Cavender's (we use the salt free version).

In my package I included Nantucket Off-shore Cajun seasoning. I also have a N O-S greek blend called Mt. Olympus I have yet to try.

MAINEiac
Joe--

Try this.

Greek Rub

2 tsp dried parsley flakes
2 tsp dried oregano (preferably Greek)
1 ½ tsp pepper
1 tsp salt, sea, or kosher, or iodized
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp corn starch or arrow root
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp beef bouillon granules or powder without MSG
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp meat tenderizer without MSG
½ tsp celery salt
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
¼ tsp ground thyme

Easy to make.
Bingo. Perfect Vicki.

I told Smokin in a personal message with my rub/sauce exchange to use olive oil and the rub. But a true Greek would add the lemon.

Also, shared this personal memory with him. When I was a toddler, my grandfather would on special occasions grill up a juicy steak...olive oil, Greek spices, lemon juice in that order, then grill. My brother and I would sit at the table and watch him cook and eat his delicacy...and then we'd get an occasional morsel. Delicious. I think Pa used to look forward to the sharing as much as we did.
quote:
Bingo. Perfect Vicki.

I told Smokin in a personal message with my rub/sauce exchange to use olive oil and the rub. But a true Greek would add the lemon.

Also, shared this personal memory with him. When I was a toddler, my grandfather would on special occasions grill up a juicy steak...olive oil, Greek spices, lemon juice in that order, then grill. My brother and I would sit at the table and watch him cook and eat his delicacy...and then we'd get an occasional morsel. Delicious. I think Pa used to look forward to the sharing as much as we did.

My wife is Greek, I am not. When I had to make the first obligatory trip to "meet the family" we were still in college. When we drove up I noticed smoke from the back yard and thought great a BBQ, these people can't be all bad. When I arrived at the grill, and the lid was lifted, there was a 10 pound octopus smoking away. My first thought was that my car is blocked in the drive way. Trust me I have grown to love and enjoy Greek food over the 30 plus years, but no amount of Greek rub would have saved that day.
That's funny. We all have Greek stories.

I came running in from Little League practice, ran into the kitchen and grabbed a glass to fetch some water. When I went to grab the faucet and pour the water, I screamed, dropped the glass in the sink, breaking it. Sitting in a large pot, were 2 live octopus or octopi gently moving around, starring up at me. Scared the living bejeevers outa me.

Mom said, "Are you allright?" I repied "Yes. Is Theos here?" He was my great uncle, Monsignor in the Greek Orthodox church. Very good man. But strange eating habits. At Easter, he'd eat the whole lamb's head...brain, skin, eyeballs.
Last edited by pags
quote:
That's funny. We all have Greek stories.

I came running in from Little League practice, ran into the kitchen and grabbed a glass to fetch some water. When I went to grab the faucet and pour the water, I screamed, dropped the glass in the sink, breaking it. Sitting in a large pot, were 2 live octopus or octopi gently moving around, starring up at me. Scared the living bejeevers outa me.

Mom said, "Are you allright?" I repied "Yes. Is Theos here?" He was my great uncle, Monsignor in the Greek Orthodox church. Very good man. But strange eating habits. At Easter, he'd eat the whole lambs head...brain, skin, eyeballs.

Pags I have loved being part of a large Greek family. Once I started to enjoy eating Oregano and Feta cheese on my scrambled eggs in the morning I knew I was accepted. Even learned enough Greek to know when they started talking about me. But your right it took a long time to enjoy eating things that were staring back at you from the plate.
I keep forgetting to comment on this rub (Recipe in post 12 of this thread). I've made it a while ago, have used it many times. Purchased some Cavender's to try out since it's been mentioned a number of times. Pags, I'll take your rub any day over Cavender's! MUCH, MUCH better in my opinion.

Was cooking up some pork tenderloin today, looked on Allrecipes for some inspiration and found a "Greek" recipe. Marinade was lime juice, olive oil, bunch of different spices. My version... Lemon juice, olive oil, 2 TBSP of Pags Greek Rub. Smoked for about a half hour with some oak for just a slight smoke flavor then finished on the grill. AWESOME!
Sorry. This may be a little late, but I'd recommend Yia Yia potatoes.

Get yourself a bag of Ruby Sensation red potatoes. Russet works but you want about 1" cubes. Larger potatoes need more cutting. I like the smaller cause when you quarter them all the cubes have skins on them. So the Ruby Sesantions works well for ease of preparation.

Cut potatoes into quarters. Toss them with olive oil, melted butter, salt, pepper, garlic (don't be shy), oregano, and lemon juice. Spread the cubed potatoes on a foiled lined jelly pan (i.e. cookie sheet). May want to Pam the pan. Bake at 400* for apprx 45 minutes till brown. Flip halfway through cooking.

You want them on the crispier side. They are tasty little morsels and are very popular when we do them.

We don't have measurements, but you want the potatoes well coated with all ingredients. We place the potatoes in a bowl and hand toss. When you're done tossing, you'll smell like a real Greek. Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.