Skip to main content

I was turned onto AlbuKirky seasonings by one of the members here (Thanks Jay).  This stuff is seriously good and like the TV add says "I use that s**t on everything" now.  I got a recipe from them the other day for Green Chili Stew.  This recipe was close to a quick and easy Chili Verde recipe that I have used for years.  I combined these and came up with some good eats.  The recipe calls for Albukirky Green Chili rubbed pork cushion.  I found pork cushion on sale so was set to go.  I seasoned the pork and let it rest overnight in the fridge.  I loaded them into the 066 with hickory and cherry wood and set the smoker temp for 225.  When the thermometer showed an internal temp of 185 degrees I pulled the pork and let it come down to room temp before putting it back in the fridge overnight.  Yesterday I cut it all into bite sized pieces.  The original recipe called for potatoes that we didn't have on hand so we turned to the Famous Idaho Baker's.  When the potatoes finished baking they were cut into bite size pieces.  We added some of the pork and 2 of the cut up bakers to a crock pot along with canned Green enchilada sauce, canned whole green peppers, a course chopped onion, a course chopped bell pepper, some minced garlic and bay leaves.  When everything was well heated and had time for flavors to meld we served it up in big bowls with sour cream, grated cheese, and lime.  This was some good eats.

Attachments

Images (5)
  • pork cushion 1
  • pork cushion 2
  • pork cushion 3
  • green chili stew 1
  • green chili stew 2
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mike, you're welcome. I still miss the old days of annual food exchanges on the old forum. I remember I got some good rubs and brisket marinade from cal, who I still think lurks here once in a while. His instructional posts on brisket taught me a lot. I also miss AndyJ whose frequent bbq brainstorm recipes were great. Oh well, times change...

Mountainman:  I have been trying to figure out how to send you the recipe and finally decided to do it this way.  I used part of a recipe I received from AlbuKirky Seasoning.  You can get the recipe here:  Green Chile Stew with Smoked Pork (updated) - AlbuKirky.com.  I basically took the smoked Pork Cushion and the idea for adding potatoes from the recipe and plugged them into the Chili Verde recipe I have used for years.  I didn't have the potatoes that were called for in the Albukirky recipe so I used a couple of baked potatoes.  I removed the skins from the potatoes after they were baked and cut them into bite size pieces.  I used this recipe for the rest of the stew. 

Chili Verde ala Ricardo De Rialto, and modified by Grumpy.

This is one of those recipes that I make from memory, and season to taste.

One package of Pork cut for stew meat (or Chicken).  The size depends on how much you are making, and how meaty you like your chili.

One or two onions course chopped

One large can of whole Green Peppers

One large can of Green Enchilada Sauce

One can of diced tomatoes with or without green chilies

(I use the peppers sauce and tomatoes that are marked “mild”)

You can brown the Pork if you like it browned.  Open the cans, and dump everything into a “Crock Pot”/ slow cooker.  Cook on High for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.  The meat will start to fall apart when it is done.

I use Season Salt, Season Pepper, Chili Powder, Oregano, Cumin, and Garlic as seasoning.  Once again it is seasoned to taste.  You might try the Emeril’s Southwest seasoning, instead of the above.  I have copied the Emeril’s below.

I serve this with rice, refried beans, and tortillas.  I use the instant rice, and use the juice from the Green Chili to replace the water called for in the rice recipe.

You can do Red Chili with the same recipe.  Just use Beef cut for stew meat, and Red Enchilada Sauce.

Emeril's Southwest Seasoning:
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano

Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Yield: 1/2 cup

Now if all of the above isn't confusing enough, I discovered that Green Chili Rub I used to season the meat was enough seasoning for the whole pot of stew.  Albukirky seasoning has a Red Chili Rub that I intend to use on some Chuck Roast to do a pot of Chili Colorado in a week or so.  While you are on the Albukirky site take a look around at some of the other recipes.  The just sent out one for Sugar Steaks that looks real interesting.

Mountainman:  Thank Jay1924.  He is the one that got me started on this seasoning.  The only seasoning this company makes that I haven't tried is the Pinion Coffee Rub.  The Anchonero Hot is a little too hot for our taste.  The Sweet Red and the Red Chile rubs make a really good dry EQ brine for curing bacon.  I do wish they made their jelly in larger jars.  Both the red and the green chile jelly make a really good glaze for pork and especially ham.

Jay:  Here is a cut and paste;

Pork cushion is a deboned piece of meat cut from the anterior side of the picnic shoulder. It is a lean, well-worked muscle with lots of flavor.

• Once removed from the bone, the pork cushion is generally triangular in shape, though the size and shape depend on how the butcher merchandises their meat counter.
  • Pork cushions are usually around two to three pounds in weight, and come with a lot of connective tissue.
  • They’re best cooked low and slow, but you can also slice them into multiple cutlets and tenderize them either via marinade or by pounding them thin as you would with schnitzel.                                                                                  I just know they are darned good and around here they are very inexpensive when on sale.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.