Skip to main content

I must say this forum has let me down. In the NE we are heading into a bit of a cold snap tonight. I had about 4 pounds of pork spare rib trimings leftover that I smoked yesterday. Green chili came to mine so I did a search. Didn't get any hits on this forum. I had a few hits with google and here's what I came up with. It really doesn't belong in the favorite forum since I just threw it together and will bring it to work in the morning to warm any brave souls. My daughter and I both agree it has a bit of a kick.

Maybe 4 pounds of sparerib trimmings
2 pounds of Hot green salsa
3 large peeled potatoes
32 ounces chicken stock
1-2 (Budweiser) tablespoons Cumin
One eigth to one quarter (Budweiser) cup Honey
3 (Budweiser) tablespoons minced garlic

Key:
Budweiser - Depends on how may I have. I never make the same thing twice and never measure. Kind of like a snowflake Big Grin
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey, I hope this helps.
I've grown up in Northern NM and live in Santa Fe on the High Road to Taos. Hatch Green Chili is good but the Espanoala Valley is my favorite. Green Chili also good if you have a cold. When you have little cold spicey is always good.
If you get the green chili from a website, put some on your eggs, sandwiches, etc.

Add some green chili, pork(or chicken), potatos, little garlic, onion salt.
You can add some Corn if you'd like and make Green Chili Corn Chowder. Cook until the potatos are done.
Also in your supermarket, you might be able to buy flower torillas as well. Heat them up and it definitely helps you get through the winter.
I sometimes soak my ribs in Green Chili Broth then throw them for 24 hours and then smoke them, no sauce neccessary.
Hope this Helps,

http://www.wholesalechili.com/frozen_green_chile.htm
Well it isn't exactly smoking, which is probably why you haven't seen a recipe here on hte forums, but if you insist on a recipe, here is how I do my green chile stew. You must realize that there are as many recipes for green chile as there are grandmothers in New Mexico. Every family has 4.

First start with a green chile sauce. Here is mine, stolen from Huntley Dent.

Saute an onion in 2 or 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Olive oil works well as does canola oil.

When the onions become translucent, toss in a couple of crushed cloves of garlic. If you like garlic, add a couple of more cloves. If you don't like garlic, don't omit it from the recipe.

Add 2 or 3 tablespoons flour, a half teaspoon of cumin, either ground or whole and a half teasopoon of fresh ground pepper, and stir like crazy until the flour onion mixture is slightly browned, It will be in clumps. Refined cooks know this as a roux. Cumin is an acquired taste, you may wish to start with a quarter teaspoon, particularly if you have kids.

Take it off the heat at this point and add 1 and a half cups chicken broth, You can substitute beef broth or vegetable broth. You can also substitute wine for some of the broth. Add a cup of roasted chopped green chiles. Use the frozen or canned types if you don't have fresh roasted, which if you don't live in New Mexico, you probably don't. Add a half teaspoon oregano, regular is fine, Mexican Oregano is better if you have it. Add a half teaspoon salt.

Return to the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or more. Taste and add salt to your taste. It should be thick enough to nap the backside of a spoon. Nap means run off slowly while leaving a thin coating. If it is too thick, add some liquid, if it is too thin, simmer it a bit longer. It is hard to go wrong.

You can use this as is for enchiladas or burritos. It is also good with scrambled eggs, omelets, and potatoes. It is also pretty good on a waffle, but that is not authentic. A mound of hashbrowns, topped with a fried egg and drowned with this sauce is heaven for breakfast. Add bacon, ham, or sausage if you aren't afraid of death by pleasure.

To convert this to a stew, add a couple of diced potatoes and a pound or two of cubed pork or lamb. You can used your smoked pulled pork here. Add broth until it is the consistency you like. Some like thin stew, some like thick stew. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 45 minutes. I like to add a chopped carrot or two and a stalk of chopped celery, but I don't think it is authentic. Neither my mother or grandmother lived in New Mexico.

Serve as is, over rice, or with flour tortillas. Mexican beer is not a neccesary accompianment, but it does help. If it is too hot, milk will help, as will a tortilla or a slice of bread.

If you like New Mexican cuisine, and you like to cook, get a copy of "The Feast of Santa Fe" by Huntley Dent. For a more common man's view of New Mexico cuisine, Get "The best from New Mexico Kitchens" and "More of the Best from New Mwxico Kitchens" .

Now, after you have mastered Green Chile Stew, you should take on Carne Adovada. Let me know if you need a recipe. You can actually smoke that. - Duffey
I wouldn't know authentic New Mexico cuisine was from authentic anyplace else West, but that sure sounds like a great accompanyment to alot of foods I can think of.

Thanks for sharing Duffy.

BTW, cumin, oregeno, and cayenne pepper are the 3 main ingredients for store bought chili powder. So if you like that it shouldn't be too hard to aquire the taste for cumin.
Here you go KathyE:

Pueblo Green Chile Stew
Jane Butel Cooking School

Yield: 4 servings

2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter, lard or bacon drippings
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups canned or fresh chopped peeled tomatoes
1 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
20 fresh green chiles, parched, peeled & chopped

Lightly coat pork cubes with flour. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet or saucepan. Add pork cubes a few at a time, stirring to brown well. Push to the side of the pot. Add onion and garlic, cooking until onion is soft. Stir in the browned meat. Add tomatoes, then salt, oregano and cumin. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed. Add the green chiles; simmer 30 minutes or longer, adding a little more water if necessary, until flavors are well blended. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Green Chili with Roasted Anaheim Peppers

I pound dried great northern beans
1 pound ground pork
1 large yellow onion, finely minced
3 cloves smoked garlic (right out of the 005)
1 smoked key lime (likewise)
5 roasted and peeled Anaheim Peppers
2 tsp. Mexican Oregano (Rancho Gordo has a great product, available online)
2 tsp. fresh toasted and ground cumin seeds
Salt to taste
I 12 or 16 oz beer such as Miller High Life
6 to 8 cups of stock (vegetable, chicken or pork will do)

Sort and rinse the beans then soak overnight and cook without salt or stock, just beer and water until just about done and much of the water is gone (stock cubes are great in this recipe because you don't have to add more liquid volume) Brown the meat in a little oil. Sauté the remaining ingredients in the rendered fat as you would imagine, adding the spices at the end. Chop up the roasted, peeled and seeded Anaheim Peppers and stir them in. Cook on low to combine flavors but not until the point where the beans have gone to much. This can be made without meat.

A hint of unsweetened white cacao powder or nutmeg at the end adds a nice complexity. Any deglazing can be done with cider vinegar or sherry.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.