Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Agree with MaxQue on Southern Soul and Gary Lees, which is also a great butcher shop.

Another on St Simons is Beachcomber BBQ . Good BBQ in a nice laid back place serving mainly locals.

In Brunswick, you need to check out the Georgia Pig. Just off I-95 on the road to Jekyll. Definitely brings new meaning to word "Shack". The servers are usually a couple surly older ladies that you don't want to engage in any conversation. The food can be hit or miss in some cases. Avoid the Brunswick stew at all costs. The pulled (chopped) pork is pretty good though they sometimes overkill with the sauce. If you ask, they might serve the sauce on the side if they're in a good mood.

If your accommodations allow for cooking you really want to go to City Market in Brunswick. They're a seafood wholesaler, though they do retail at their facility, and they specialize primarily in shrimp. A couple years ago I bough 3 pounds of jumbo shrimp fresh off the boat at ~ $6/lb.
Last edited by dls
Well now Coach,since we have run I-75 all these years, chasing qualifiers up thru the Carolinas,GA east TN,and thought there must be at least one place,we have hit every gas station,C store,private home,shack ,truckstop,etc.

This would be a lot like me visiting Cowtown and asking you for the best places for fresh shrimp,sushi grade tuna,grouper,pompano,and flounder.

You'd probably tell me to eat some good cowboy vittles[chicken fried steak/cream gravy]Tex-Mex,and some decent brisket,smoked sausage/maybe 1/2 yardbird if it was the Tuesday night special.

Now,if you were really deperate,stop at Stuckey's for gas,get a can of Vietti bbq in sauce , a sleeve of soda crackers and a plastic spoon.

That should break ya of such foolishness. Big Grin
Be glad to know that the folks have found a good spot to stop.Even if we don't find our world favorite,we always try to find at least something to enjoy at each of our adventures.

Like he said about them ol' ladies at Brunswick,being grumpy.They used to have a little cardboard sign near the counter that warned you not to stand and try to watch.
If you breached it,they would snap at ya. Big Grin

Being from your neck o' the woods,I'd probably still see where the locals were eatin' seafood.
quote:
Originally posted by Coach:
Thanks for the input gents.

We did southern soul for lunch today. Not bad at all. Ribs were out of sight!

Tom... point well taken Wink

Andy... we were GC .. a good day Smiler

dls.... thanks! we'll head back over to brunswick tomorrow!

Coach - Enjoy your stay, and let us know what you come up with in Brunswick.

Coincidentally, I'm going to Jekyll this coming Monday for a couple days. Flying to Jacksonville on Sat. to attend the final round of The Players Championship at Sawgrass on Sun. Decided to go to Jekyll for a couple days of R&R while I'm the "neighborhood". Let me know if you come up with any good finds not already mentioned.

Congrats on the GC.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:

Like he said about them ol' ladies at Brunswick,being grumpy.They used to have a little cardboard sign near the counter that warned you not to stand and try to watch.
If you breached it,they would snap at ya. Big Grin

Heard they also banned picture taking inside the restaurant a while back, As the story goes, one of the cooks was chopping up some pork with a couple cleavers, and a patron decided to take his picture. I guess the flash startled him, and one of the cleavers went a little off target. Apparently he still has issues signing his name.

Can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but it makes an interesting tale.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.