Skip to main content

I have a CS SM025.  I've had it for nearly ten years and use it frequently.  While smoking some belly for bacon the other day (4# piece, 7-day wet brine) I noticed the temperature indicator for the heating element running much hotter than it perhaps should be.  I was working in the yard nearby so I had more time than usual to sneak peeks at the readout.  I had the temp set at 175F but noticed the readout going to 245F for quite some time.   I realize the temp may go up to heat up or maintain heat but this seemed too hot for too long.  With butts, ribs, and brisket I usually set the temp and walk away, for the most part, checking every once and awhile.  Bacon is a bit more critical and I don't want it too high for too long to render out the fat.  For the last year, I've thought the unit may be running hot so I have an oven thermometer inside to double-check.  I'm wondering if I need a new thermostat or similar and yes I did not have the probe in the back blocked.   Any thoughts?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm used to it heating up to get the wood going and fluctuations around the set temp during a long smoke but this was 2 hours in on the bacon I was doing and it shot up to 245F which I thought quite high and the oven thermo I had inside registered the same.  During most long smokes I just ocassionally glance at the readout.  I've had a sneaky suspicion that it might be running hot.  I'll just put a Butt in and really watch the readout throughout the smoke.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.