Skip to main content

I just got the used 150 that you were so nice to help me with, thanks very much. Do larger smokers take more time to heat up than smaller ones and does that effect cook times of shorter cooking foods like salmon or chicken legs? i have not yet tried any of these types yet and would appreciate a heads up.

jim
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Does the 150 version you have, have 2 heating elements?

ANY smoker needs to be evaluated for run up time. Remember, we don't advise cooking on time here, there are too many variables. Go on finishing temp.

Best recommendation I'd say is to test you machine, get a good remote therm and validate the temps on a particular setting and if it's important to you, how long it takes to run up.

As it's a new unit (to you); I'd highly recommend the tests, we call the mapping
ok, wait a minute -- i think i am catching on. tell me if i got it: if it takes 30 minutes or more to get up to temp, it is largely irrelevant because the time is not the issue. the food needs to be cooked to the proper temp and the time it takes varies with different machines. is that what you are telling me???
I think you've got it. It also varies by type of product smoked (brisket vs ribs), weight of similar product, how that product was raised or groomed, grade of the product (select vs choice), temperature setting of the smoker, etc, etc.

Cook to a specific cooking temperature, and you'll be able to gauge approximately how long each smoke may take once you gain experience. But it's not an exact science, and finish times will vary even with similar product and weight. Remember it's done when it's done.

On larger cuts like brisket or pork butt, the cook times can vary quite a bit. So if you're shooting for a specific dinner time (like with guests), shoot for an early finish, then double heavy duty foil it, wrap it in a beach towel, and place it in a cooler. It will stay hot to the touch for hours and will tenderize while coolered also. That way, if the smoke takes longer to get to temperature, you've played it safe so the smoke will likely get done on or before your scheduled dinner time. If you've taken all the precautions and it's still late, that's where a good beer or glass of wine comes in.
quote:
Originally posted by jt tric:
...is that what you are telling me???

Basically yes. BBQ isn't a receipe (even if you've done it a bunch of times, there are ALWAYS slight variations)

BBQ Rule #1. Learn your cooker. So test it, etc and get to know what and how it does what it does

Then cook on it a bunch, KEEP GOOD NOTES and you'll quickly build up some general rules for you and your cooker.

Example, I know that "generally" for me in my FE and 150 Brisket/butts take 1 hour per pd, but I never go on time. I'm looking for a specific internal temp as a target, but then I still poke it to determine doneness.

Then of course we can confuse you, do you put the meat in a cold smoker or in a hot smoker... Big Grin (p.s. it doesn't really matter, it's only a personal preference)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.