Skip to main content

What I was curious about if if there is a cold smoke kit available for the FEC 100 or the seafood racks.? Trying to make a decision about the FEC100 but there seems to be a lot of issues with them. Anyone with a recent FEC100 purchase that can give me a recent review to ease my worries..?

Thank you in advance-

Ryon
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Glad to help, Ronin.

I've owned two FEC 100's over the years, one of which is used at a restaurant to smoke whole sides of salmon. We brine, air cure and use an Amazen tube smoker as the smoke generator. You can see the product HERE
The end result is superb.

The other FEC100 is parked at my home. Last year (just after the expiration of the 2 yr warranty) I experienced an issue with temps running 20 +/- lower that what they were set for. Bill Vice of customer service worked with me until the issue was corrected, which required a new control board. This happened AFTER he sent me a new auger and auger motor. All parts were free and covered under warranty even though the unit was slightly OUT OF WARRANTY!!

If you have further questions, please say. Bottom line, the FEC100 is a solid performer and you won't regret the purchase.
Probably won't mean much, but the FEC100 is my dream machine and next purchase. I own three cookshack smokers. Love them all. Love the service.

You can't go wrong with buying from a company who stands behind the product no matter how you acquired them. I bought 2 of mine from different sources. If I ever had a question, they never questioned where or when I bought them. They just offered support and friendly service.
I have 3 lightly used FEC100's. Two are for sale. One to be kept for personal use. These have been our competition cookers and have probably less than 50 cooks each on them. We are getting out of competiton cooking because of some medical issues. I am asking $2750.00 each and I am near Tulsa OK. I can send pics if you want them. Both have the IQ4 controller.

Robert Cathey
Hotwire BBQ
Robert is offering those at a good price, you may want to think about it.

Yes, people report issues in this forum, but these units are built like tanks and will outlast charcoal burning steel cabinet smokers by many years. My 2010 FEC developed a problem after cooking over 100 contests and many miles bouncing around in a trailer. A few calls to Bill, replacement of a part, and it's back to running like new.
Ryon,

I've got two of the new 2015 units with the IQ5 controller. They definitely manage the fire a little differently (probably better) than the IQ4 so that has taken a little adjustment, but all in all no complaints here.

Remember CS has a 30 day money back guarantee. So if you don't like it you can get out of it. But I bet they rarely have any returns.

With all machines/electronics etc especially dealing with fire and the elements outdoors, traveling down the road in a bumpy trailer, etc. there can be issues. You see some of those pop up here on the board. Most of the problems (thermocouples, ignitors etc) are user repairs and CS is great about helping with that both diagnosing the problem as well as parts and guidance through the repairs. What you DON'T see here on the boards is the huge volume of people who never have an issue with their cookers and are living the BBQ life with no "issues."

Getcha a FEC, you'll love it.

Nordy
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
Originally posted by RONIN:
.... but there seems to be a lot of issues with them. ....to ease my worries..?

Thank you in advance-

Ryon

You have some good answers above.

Not sure about a "lot" but let us know any specific issues and we can help with your concerns.

Hey Smokin,when you post, how about letting us know what part of the world you are posting from so we can keep up with you. Like where's Waldo???
quote:
Originally posted by Cook One:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RONIN:
.... but there seems to be a lot of issues with them. ....to ease my worries..?

Thank you in advance-

Ryon

You have some good answers above.

Not sure about a "lot" but let us know any specific issues and we can help with your concerns.

Hey Smokin,when you post, how about letting us know what part of the world you are posting from so we can keep up with you. Like where's Waldo???

He does have a log on Facebook (but I don't do that). Hoping someday he just knocks on my door!
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:
Ryon,

I've got two of the new 2015 units with the IQ5 controller. They definitely manage the fire a little differently (probably better) than the IQ4 so that has taken a little adjustment, but all in all no complaints here.

Remember CS has a 30 day money back guarantee. So if you don't like it you can get out of it. But I bet they rarely have any returns.

With all machines/electronics etc especially dealing with fire and the elements outdoors, traveling down the road in a bumpy trailer, etc. there can be issues. You see some of those pop up here on the board. Most of the problems (thermocouples, ignitors etc) are user repairs and CS is great about helping with that both diagnosing the problem as well as parts and guidance through the repairs. What you DON'T see here on the boards is the huge volume of people who never have an issue with their cookers and are living the BBQ life with no "issues."

Getcha a FEC, you'll love it.

Nordy

Got One!
While at the cooking class put on by Cookshack, David Bouska and Fast Eddy in December I picked one up. I've never used any type of pellet grill or smoker before and loved my Amerique (plan on keeping it) but I wanted something bigger. I've had the FEC for a couple of weeks but with the weather, holidays and such I've only just used it this past weekend. I will say I was a bit nervous when I first fired it up, a lot more machine than I'm used to. Probably got a little crazy too for a first cook, put on a pork butt, followed by baby backs and chicken. That was a fun but long day cooking for just my wife and I. Totally different product than what comes out of the Amerique and I'm already liking it. Still have some learning to do but I'll be well fed along the way. Pretty sure I made the right choice, my wife...not so sure. Smiler

Attachments

Images (1)
  • FEC100_First_Cook
quote:
Originally posted by Soleman:
Dakota, you said it puts out a totally different product than the Amerique. How so?

I'm certainly no expert, have had my Amerique for about 5 years and never smoked anything before that. Always produced a very good product from the Amerique as with great comments from family and friends. The few samples I took to work today were very well received with a lot of good comments. I guess I would have to say it must be the fact that you are smoking all the time rather than until your wood blocks are finished. The taste was different and the appearance was nothing I could ever do in the Amerique. With only the one smoke behind me I am very pleased with this unit. Maybe someone else with this experience could explain it better. I was playing around with the information from the cooking class so that also could have been a factor.
Like DakotaSmoke I too went from an Amerique (2007-2012) to a FEC100 (2012-now), and agree it does put out a different product than the Amerique. Both units put out excellent food, they just use different methods for heat/smoke and have different air circulation patterns within the units. That's what I think causes the difference.
I use my FEC100 at home, but take my Amerique to other places as it is easier to transport in back of my pickup (no trailer).

Ronnin, buy a FEC100. You won't be disappointed.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:

Hey Smokin,when you post, how about letting us know what part of the world you are posting from so we can keep up with you. Like where's Waldo???[/QUOTE]

Sure. Funny but I haven't been on FB for weeks because they don't think Smokin Okie is real, they want a Drivers License for me, not Russ. My 4Trademarks weren't good enough... Lol

We r in Florida for two more weeks. The Keys, Homestead, Sarasota, Tallahassee. On to New Orleans for a month to include Mardi Gras.

Hope to be in your area in the fall. Rough plan for this year is Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, N & S Carolina, back to FL for the winter 2017

I'll start a new "where's Smokin" thread
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:

Sure. Funny but I haven't been on FB for weeks because they don't think Smokin Okie is real, they want a Drivers License for me, not Russ. My 4Trademarks weren't good enough... Lol

We r in Florida for two more weeks. The Keys, Homestead, Sarasota, Tallahassee. On to New Orleans for a month to include Mardi Gras.

Hope to be in your area in the fall. Rough plan for this year is Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, N & S Carolina, back to FL for the winter 2017

I'll start a new "where's Smokin" thread[/QUOTE]

I'll keep the lights on for ya! Safe Travels!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.