Skip to main content

Hello to all. My name is Ira, and I'm a long-time Q-er. Not a competition cook, although I recently won a means-nothing local award for my Atomic Buffalo Turds.

I already have a rough trailer unit converted from a propane tank, but tomorrow, I start putting together another haulable--two La Caja China units mounted on a Harbor Freight trailer, to roast whole hogs.

I know La Caja China isn't a true smoker, but I'll be adding a smoker accessory, and in addition to cooking for myself, I'll be renting it out for people who've only dreamed about being able to do a whole hog in their backyard.

Anyway, thanks for having me...I hope I'm allowed to post about my new project...and I look forward to getting to know you guys.

I live in Coral Springs, Florida...kind of near Ft. Lauderdale.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by tigerfan:
Good luck on your project.

Everyone is welcome here!

Thanks for the welcome, Tiger.

I understand the sensibilities involved in joining a forum sponsored by a manufacturer, but there's not a heck of a lot of forum activity out there for those of us that do what we do and love so much.

Heck--if I have to explain to one more person that just because the meat falls off the bone that doesn't means it's good Q, I'm going to kill myself.
Shoot, hang around here long and ya will be wanting a fec100 or might just get lazy buy a cookshack and throw some meat in and plug it in. KISS can come with a few advantages... more time for adult beverages, maybe a nap also.

Yes we welcome all, because it is Que, ya know! Keep us updated on how the pig cooker is coming along. I'm sure some will enjoy that.

Oh, wantta share an award winning recipe for ABT's or is that just a comp secret? I'm not experienced on those yet, but it is the right time of the year to try and it has been on my mind.
Welcome. I love ABTs. Been doing them often lately. Been trying different peppers lately. Stuff them with different cheeses, peppers, garlic, a little green onion and wrap and spice them. Throw them on the CS for a couple of hours at 250 and they are great. One of the nice things about the CS is it is easy to fire up and makes some pretty good BBQ.

Would be great to see your trailer. Always looking for great ideas on ABTs too.
I used to do my ABTs whole, but after serving them at some events, I realized that even people who like jalapenos can have a problem with a whole pepper:

Especially when they're not perfectly deveined. Plus, they cook more evenly and quicker as halves.

Mine are pretty simple, but I recently added something on someone's advice that really makes a difference and complements the pepper perfectly:

I squirt a little honey into the cavity of the pepper half before stuffing

My cheese is 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 Cheddar/Colby Jack mix. (They sell this as a shredded combination.) Let sit in room temperature to soften and blend well by hand or machine.

Stuff pepper with cheese, wrap in PLAIN bacon (not smoked), sprinkle heavily with Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and smoke with hickory. Real simple.

I do my own rub for beef ribs, but I've found that I can't really do any better than the Byron's for pork, so I don't even bother.

Here's a shot of me with the latest little piggy to go into the sauna:

And here he is getting a tan in my old propane conversion unit:

Last edited by Former Member
By the way:

If any of you guys have a Flickr account that you use to link your photos, you may have realized that they recently did something which doesn't allow you to copy an image address and paste in other places with img tags, like I did here.

But there's a fix:

View a photo, and from the "Actions" pull-down menu, select "View All Sizes." It will default to the largest image size, and THEN you can copy the image address.
Check out the link on "posting photos"

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...91028883/m/608103433

I prefer to have them loaded on the server (you can upload) or sent to me for putting there.

The reason is that MANY of those accounts disappear over the years. As the forum is almost 10 years old, we have lots of broken links.

Oh, and put PICS in the title to help people know you have pics.

Post your recieps in new threads that way they'll be easier to find AND I'm sure you'll have questions. When the thread title doesn't match the posts, it's hard for people to find. Just an idea for you. Love to see good photos.

Good looking stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Check out the link on "posting photos"

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve...91028883/m/608103433

I prefer to have them loaded on the server (you can upload) or sent to me for putting there.

The reason is that MANY of those accounts disappear over the years. As the forum is almost 10 years old, we have lots of broken links.

Oh, and put PICS in the title to help people know you have pics.

Post your recieps in new threads that way they'll be easier to find AND I'm sure you'll have questions. When the thread title doesn't match the posts, it's hard for people to find. Just an idea for you. Love to see good photos.

Good looking stuff.

Will do!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.