Skip to main content

Hi all! I picked up a Hi-Mountain Jerky Cooker and Prime Rib Oven Model 008 yesterday and was planning on firing it up with some Pork Loin ribs this afternoon.
This cooker hasn't been used in a couple years, It was only used a few times and was pretty clean, I fired it up for a couple hours last night and didn't notice any off smells and the interior is not greasy at all. Would you recommend reseasoning it?
Thanks!
Brian
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum. Brian I would reseason it.

Load it up with 6 or 8 oz. max of wood and set it at 250 and let her go for at least 4 hours.

Then go ahead and cook your food.

lots of great reading here. If you dont find the topic your looking for, just use the search feature.

Mike
Thanks Mike! I just experienced a mini explosion!
I was standing in front of the 008 and a burst of smoke and steam erupted around the top and bottom of the door and drain hole. I had cut a fist sized chunk of hickory in half for seasoning smoke, that had to be a few years old as it came with the smoker. Unplugged it, cracked the door-no fire or damage noticed (I searched this out) so a couple more hours of seasoning and its off to the races with the Babybacks! Kind of startling but not like the Big Green Egg Flashback!!
Last edited by Former Member
Ive read many stories such as yours.

Keep the door closed. You got an extra dose of oxygen into the unit and basically had a mini backdraft.

The owners manual says to turn off power to unit/or off and wait 10 minutes before opening door.

This happens a lot.....if its happened to me, im not aware of it!

Mike
I've been going through the forum ever since I saw this listed on CL and rescued it from practicing Vegetarians! I'll have to download a Cookshack manual for more info, the one from Hi-Mountain is more of a cookbook than anything else. The How-to video is pretty entertaining, had a guy named Stewart from Cookshack do a couple demos with it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.