Skip to main content

I have read that Hickory is the most popular wood to smoke with, but that Red Oak is the favorite of pitmasters. I usually use Hickory because I like a strong smoke flavor, but I am curious about how Red Oak compares. I usually use around 6 ounces of Hickory and haven't ever had too much smoke flavor, usually its not enough. I live in Utah and Red Oak isn't as readily available as Hickory, so I am trying to decide if it is worth tracking some down. Also, I have never tried Mesquite because I have read how strong it is if used in the Cookshacks--is it really too strong if you really like smoke flavor? I understand smoke flavor/strength is subjective, but just hoping those with similiar tastes could provide some input. Thanks.

Brett
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is a pretty good site,that you may find useful.

Mesquite can be bitter on long cooks.

Oak is considered the queen of woods,and is often used about 70% ,along with the flavor woods.

It tends to mellow some of the harsher flavors.

If you like the hickory,you shouldn't have to go on great hunts.

Some folks do prefer milder fruit woods on fish and poultry.
I'm sure tom meant this link, it's our usual reference:

BBQ FAQ on wood

quote:
Also, I have never tried Mesquite because I have read how strong it is if used in the Cookshacks--is it really too strong if you really like smoke flavor?

Brett,

Mesquite isn't just a stronger smoke, it's a different taste altogether. It's fine for grilling (in Texas when I lived there, most restaurants used it for grillin')

Guess my question is are you just trying for more intense smoke or different flavor? It really is a subjective thing and we can suggest some ideas. For most 6 oz is too much, so it is an individual thing.

Let me know and I can suggest.
Thanks for the replies and the link. I would say I am trying for a more intense smoke flavor. I like the smoke flavor better after the meat has been in the refrigerator for a couple of days or frozen for awhile. I don't know if that is function of my taste buds being desensitized from smelling the smoke while it is cooking or if it just gets stronger after sitting for awhile. Thanks.

Brett
Many of us feel desensitized to smoke, after a day looking thru and breathing smoke.

Thus the next day ,after sleep,and a shower,we may notice it more.

There are ways to time use of woods,to control level of taste.

A particular flavor may not be the same as intensity.

i.e.,dill pickles aren't always stronger than strawberry ice cream,but they may each go differently, with different foods.

Just a thought.
B.Tatton -- One thing you might try is keeping your meat as cold as possible before tossing it in the smoker.

Theory is that the meat will take on smoke up to 140*. After that, all you are doing is coating the outside. Therefore, the longer the meat stays cold in the smoky atmosphere the more smoke it will take on.

Give it a shot and see if this suits ya! Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.