Skip to main content

I've been using a small charcoal smoker for a while. I've had moderate success. Tough to keep the temp up and smoke consistant. I'm going to try and modify it to be an electric one. Any tips on where to place the wood, how much and what kind. Our most populous creature in this neck of the woods is good old Manitoba Goldeye. Have about 400 in the freezer waiting for me to perfect some kind of method. Thanks, DJ
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Okay, Salvation Army had a "Contempra" Indoor Electic Char-B-Que for 4.99. It's porcelain base is 12" across with a rack cover and a stove element inside for heat. It fits in the bottom of my charcoal smoker (where the charcoal is supposed to be) perfectly. My question is, does one bury the element under a pile of dry wood chips...probably not, suspend wet wood chunk above..below the element? I've never seen any demos of this. Thanks, DJ
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Thiessen:
Okay, Salvation Army had a "Contempra" Indoor Electic Char-B-Que for 4.99. It's porcelain base is 12" across with a rack cover and a stove element inside for heat. It fits in the bottom of my charcoal smoker (where the charcoal is supposed to be) perfectly. My question is, does one bury the element under a pile of dry wood chips...probably not, suspend wet wood chunk above..below the element? I've never seen any demos of this. Thanks, DJ

Two things to keep in mind.

Temp. What temp will that element generate. Unless you modify it, you probably won't be able to regulate it unless it's "off" or "on" That's why most Cheap electrics are cheap, they don't put temp control in. Oh and consider heat loss, how thin is the metal and how much temp will you lose to the outside temp. Not much in the summer and all of it in the winter

Wood. You're not burning wood for heat (that's the element) you're burning wood for flavor. So you could put a handful of wood on the burner. Too much wood and you'll create flames (and more temp)

Alton made a COLD smoker (better for some fish) out of a wood box and a heating element

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.