Skip to main content

I am planning on smoking 2 on-the-bones prime rib roasts for Christmas dinner. These are the big 7-bone roasts, about 17" long and 18.4# & 20.2#. I have done several of the smaller 3-bome roasts before, and am wondering if these bigger one will take much longer. Smoking in a FEC100, and will be following Smokin's Prime Rib tutorial. MY thoughts are these will take about same time as would a smaller 3-bome roast since the diameter of both roasts are similar in size. I would not think the length of roast would have that much affect on time needed, but hey - what do I know ??!!??
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When smoking something that big, I think the key is letting them come to temp for an hour before putting them in the smoker. You have to try to take the chill off the center. The next important thing I learned was to let the roast rest FTC for at lease an hour after 125 IT. Then the last thing you do is, reverse sear in a 500 degree oven for 10 to 15 min. Serve immediately. JMO.
Padrefan98 & AndyJ, thanks for the comments. I was planning on taking the chill off those roasts by having them sit on kitchen counter for about 1-2 hours while I get them cut off of bones, tied back on, trimmed-up, and seasoned. In one of the old Posts on Prime Rib here on Forum, someone said a roast can safely sit at room temp for up to 4-hours before cooking. Don't want to go that long.
Planning on smoking to around 100* or so. taking out while FEC bumps up to 350*, and then putting it back in to help crust-up the exterior & pull at 125 to 128*. This is per Smokin's Prime Rib 101. I have used that method before on smaller 3-4 bone prime ribs with great results. My (1 & only 1) oven will not be available to sear at high heat as it will have other things in it.
Still considering cutting one in half as Cal & RibDog suggested above so there are more end pieces. Final decisions will be made on Christmas morning. Thanks for all the comments.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.