Skip to main content

I decided to give the Babybacks another go in the 008 today. Two racks cut in half and in a Weber rib rack on the center shelf. One dusted with Sloppy's RibRub and the other with Spicewines Hen-N-Hog Dust. Set to 235* with Cherry, I let them roll for 5 hours in the rack then foiled for another hour. Another wonderful cook, not perfect but very very good!
Those of you that do a lot of ribs in the 008, do you have any tips or tricks? Like adding Apple juice to the foiled ribs?
Brian
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

swamprb,

It depends if you like dry ribs or wet. I am a fan of the wet rib. I add my sauce the last hour in the oven wrapped in foil. They come out sweet, sticky, and spicy. It you like them dry I would take them to a full 5 hours in the shack, oil them up with olive oil, add more rub on them, and crisp them up on the grill on high heat.
quote:
Originally posted by swamprb:
... not perfect but very very good!
Those of you that do a lot of ribs in the 008, do you have any tips or tricks? Like adding Apple juice to the foiled ribs?
Brian

Kind of an open ended question to a guy like me that's been cooking ribs for too many years.

What did you like about them? What didn't you like. Few more details, maybe I can give some suggestions.

Me personally this time of year, BB"s are too small. I go for Spares and trim them (and the price is easily 1/2 the cost)
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
Originally posted by swamprb:
... not perfect but very very good!
Brian

Kind of an open ended question to a guy like me that's been cooking ribs for too many years.

What did you like about them? What didn't you like. Few more details, maybe I can give some suggestions.

Me personally this time of year, BB"s are too small. I go for Spares and trim them (and the price is easily 1/2 the cost)

I prefer spares, my wife likes BB's and I just cook 'em. But back to your question, my first rib cook turned out OK, dry rubbed and probably could have cooked a little longer. This time I let them cook for 5 hrs before checking them, and they looked dry,pulled back about a half inch on the bone, I did the toothpick test and decided to foil them. I would normally add a little Apple juice to the foil with my other cookers, but I'm trying to get the feel of the 008, so I let them go for another hour and was pleasantly surprised at the results. I did'nt want to sauce them in the foil because I'm curious to get the taste of the meats from this cooker. To me they looked dry but were moist and tender, could that have been too much smoke?

Brian

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.