Skip to main content

I don't have the time to expieriment-- here's the ingredients: Tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, honey, molasses, mustard, horseradish, lemon juice, onions, garlic, peppers, natural hickory smoke flavor, natural spices, saltand xanthan gum.

Big carterinbg job (for me 100 plates) and they requested this sauce--its good but $4 a 16 oz bottle.

Thanks...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Howdy LJ,

I have seen lots of requests for a clone,but I've never seen one posted.

I can't picture self respecting Kentuckians wanting the sauce by request,but here is their ordering site.

Actually $4/pint is cheaper than their gal price.

A gallon should give you more than enough.Bonesuckin SauceBonesuckin' Sauce

When you cost it out,unless you are buying from Sam's,etc.-it is hard to make a good sauce ,labor,package,time,etc. for much less than that.

Maybe just bite the bullet,so you can focus on the meal at hand?

Just my $0.02
wow! talk about gold plated sauce! man, that is pricey.. yet i understand. it cost me about ten dollars to make a gallon of sauce.
if your gonna clone it, i suggest you start with a can of catsup, mix in 2tbs of each dry spice, 1/2 cup of each wet ingredient, and finish off by adding a jar of the original stuff to be sure. dont overcook, just warm and chill. probably as close as you can get without paying the price. by the time you are done, you still spent a tweenty.....
maybe ask for more dough to cover the special request....and give them the original. i would tell them something like, "i make sauce to compliment my 'q' so i dont recommend store bought sauce"
L.J.~~

Truth be told, I've never tried Bone Suckin' but I bet this recipe will get ya real close. It's a darn tasty KC style sauce.
TC�s Kansas City Style Barbecue Sauce

2 oz Canola Oil
1 fresh Jalepeno minced � seeds discarded
1 Tbsp. Fresh minced Garlic
1 cup onion-minced
1 #10 can Heinz Chili Sauce
4 cups apple cider
2 cups cider vinegar
1 � cups brown sugar
1 cup molasses
� cup Kikkoman Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp Chili Powder
� cup Liquid Smoke
salt to tast

Method:
Heat the oil and gently cook onion & Jalepeno until onion are translucent. Add all other ingredients except Liquid Smoked and simmer 30 minutes. Add Liquid Smoke & taste for salt. Let cool and puree in blender. Strain through sieve.

Yield: about 1 � gallons

* You can substitute 2 64 oz bottles of Heinz Ketshup for the Chili Sauce
hey, tc. that sauce of yours looks really good. i am already collecting ingredients to try it out. with a twist, of coarse....does it turn out red or dark? does sound a bit sweet, though. maybe a little less brown sugar..hhmmm i will let you know how it turns out next week...thanks
The color is not as dark as KC Masterpiece. It looks a bit like a Mexican Mole'

Actually, it's not as sweet as it looks...it has a pretty nice sweet/sour balance and I think it works best with brisket. For Pulled Pork you might want to kick up the vinegar a bit, or add a little mustard. To each; his own Smiler
L.J. ~

Sorry bud...Vermont just got snowed-in with a Nor'easter and all flights to Kentuckey are on hold. If ya have extra pork leftover, you can send me a pouch though Smiler

Hey coffeebluff...is Big Al's BBQ still located out on Johnny Mercer? As I recall, he makes some of the best ribs I've ever had. His Q sauce is fabulous too.
haha! heres a sad story for ya...
i moved to savannah from sw florida last november. first three days, i learned where the official offices were so we could get permits and licenses. day four began setting up shop..(lots of details). day eight open for business. since then, i have taken one day off(slacker!), easter. we went to do the river walk thing. so, unfortunately, i dont know where anything is..except sams club, bank, home. terrible, isnt it?
funny, customers are all the time saying "you should come by this place or that place" haha! sure, i will be there at 3 a.m. nobody knows...
anyway, sorry, but i never herd of big al's.
just had to get that out Cool
maybe when you are in town, you should come check us out. a lot of my customers claim we have the best 'q' they ever tasted. i guess that is the same anywhere, or else nobody would be in business. i think that when you try a place, you are not just sampling the flavor of that particular restaurant, but discovering the neighborhood flavor preference. after all, its the community around a restaurant that keeps it going, so a restaurant has to provide flavors that the community wants. keeping that in mind, if you come accross a restaurant that is doing well, yet the food is terrible, it may not be the cooks fault, but that of the local's
pallet. sounds pretty deep, huh?
what do yall think of that??
OK...we're going back a few years but I believe Johnny Mercer Blvd runs out to the causeway which takes you to Tybee Island - which has some very nice beaches. Big Als' was on the south side of J. M. Blvd, just gefore you get to the causeway.

Ya got to get a little "R&R" in before you burn out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.