Skip to main content

.. from my old Masterbuilt unit. I did the burn-in last night and had some questions.

Given the insulation in this baby, I was not expecting the sides and tops to be as hot as they were. Is it normal for the smoker to be hot to the touch? The Masterbuilt was only hot to the touch directly around the door.

The manual says to line the smoke box with foil when using chips instead of blocks to prevent the chips from falling out ... but the box is solid. How would chips fall out? I think I read somewhere else that the box is supposed to have holes in it?

The manual also says to line the bottom and heat deflector with foil to ease cleanup, replacing it for every smoke. Do people actually do that? I can see myself going through quite a few rolls of foil if that's the case.

Update:
I've been browsing through some of the old messages here and some of my questions are answered. It appears they've redesigned the smoke box so it has no holes. Others have mentioned about heat transfer not being a problem so I won't worry about that (the seasoning was done at night so ambient temperature was not an issue).
I saw one person say that he replaced the foil every smoke - is that a common practice? I guess my inner skinflint is coming out ...
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Like the fine cooks above pointed out, a person HAS to have a lot of foil...and I mean a LOT!

You can get by on changing the foil on the bottom every few cooks if you desire...but the one that is over the wood box lid may need changed more often if you are smoking meats that have a LOT of fat.

It is always easier to change when it is warm and not glued down by harden fat, don't ask me how I know this!
I change my foil after every smoke. My smoker is left outside so I have this phobia about bugs feasting on my leftovers inside the smoker.

I too have an 025, I love it! Best ribs, chicken, butts/shoulders, and chuck roast I ever had! The only thing I sucked at was brisket. I will have another go at it though.

Good luck with yours, hope you get as much enjoyment as I have.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.